boroman

FS/FT 1968 Gibson EB2
£2300

Posted (edited)

I bought this beautiful bass in USA hoping to use it for semi-acoustic shows that were planned, but the idea¬†never came real.¬†OK. The truth is I bought it because of the look! ūüôā¬†Never seen another one like that.¬†It's a '68 Gibson EB2 with rare "Sparkling Burgundy" finish that was red in the beginning but had turned over¬†the years to gold/copper and looks absolutely stunning. (you can see real unfaded¬†color on the back).¬†I remember playing one like that on the Denmark Street 6-7 years ago and I really wanted to find one, but not in red and not in sunburst. It's 100% original , unmodified,¬†with chipboard case and chrome bridge cover, just missing the pickguard -¬†like most of them - they are shrinking over time and make the bass buzzing all over the place so I complaetely understand¬†the point of removing it. Soundwise:¬†Tons of low end¬†(and almost just a low end) with the original mudbucker pickup + tons of sustain (this is not a light bass - it has center block under the bridge) +¬†dead straight neck &¬†low action, frets in good shape. No repairs, no cracks/structural damages. It needs a bit of tlc on the baritone switch. Crackles when engaging and buzzez (ground) when you touch it. Otherwise in "playing mode" is totally silent. Great bass, but I haven't taken it out of the case in a year...¬†

I may take some CS (+cash) or Mastebuilt P bass in trade... Let me know what do you have
UK+European Union can be like £40-80, must know your postal code.

90029570_3074595119239310_475652170444701696_o.jpg

89850893_3074595252572630_1810758005835169792_o.jpg

90333956_3074595112572644_1129359026258182144_o.jpg

90234365_3074595102572645_4072657293383041024_o.jpg

Edited by boroman
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, alyctes said:

That looks gorgeous!

Yeah. There's no other one like it! I haven't seen such a beautiful color fading ever. That;s why it caught my eye then

• Like 1

I had a sunburst early (Orange label) EB2 in my youth.  Such a well built bass.  This is a stunning example.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 3below said:

I had a sunburst early (Orange label) EB2 in my youth.  Such a well built bass.  This is a stunning example.

I have always wandered if there were any differences between black and chrome pickups (early vs late). Unfortunately I haven't played those early ones

1 hour ago, boroman said:

I have always wandered if there were any differences between black and chrome pickups (early vs late). Unfortunately I haven't played those early ones

Hard to say, string choice and amps nowhere near as good then (1974) as they are now. Mine had a chrome cover (flat, thick, heavy, nickel plate? , with a plastic shim under it)  not a deep pressed one like yours.  I remember measuring the output of the pickup using an oscilloscope (Physics degree), 1.5V pk-pk on the E string.  It had the baritone switch, two post 'bar' bridge and reverse wind machines.  It was very 'bassy' even with Rotosound Swingbass strings.  The frets were soft, 3 years of 2+ gigs per week wore them down in no time. It was a very well built bass, solid, dependable and really well made.  I miss it... (probably missing my youth lol) but we all have basses we should have kept.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, boroman said:

The original Bakelite-covered pickups were single coil, later chrome covered units were the more familiar dual coil  humbucking "mudbucker".   I've got a '58 EB-2 (pre baritone switch) and a'69 EB-2D;  the Bakelite pickups have less output but a bit more articulation than the chrome ones. 

Ive always liked the rare burgundy finish, actually introduced as a remedial measure to cover up moisture checking issues with the conventional finishes (see 1967 & 1969 here: https://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB2timeline.php ).

Lovely bass, good luck with the sale! :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 2