Why become a member? ×

The Stranglers

JDM

Yes, his early sound is apparently down to playing through a guitar cab with a torn speaker. I think by the Black and White era he had a few more quid and probably had decent amplification. He's used all sorts of stuff over the years, including Trace. Nowadays he's an Ashdown endorsee-recent pics from the current European tour show about four rack-mounted ABMs of some sort (Ashdown labs?), although they might be customs as I don't recognise them, with ABM 4X10's and what I think are 1X 15's or 1X 18's.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='407204' date='Feb 12 2009, 01:01 AM']Yes, his early sound is apparently down to playing through a guitar cab with a torn speaker. I think by the Black and White era he had a few more quid and probably had decent amplification. He's used all sorts of stuff over the years, including Trace. Nowadays he's an Ashdown endorsee-recent pics from the current European tour show about four rack-mounted ABMs of some sort (Ashdown labs?), although they might be customs as I don't recognise them, with ABM 4X10's and what I think are 1X 15's or 1X 18's.[/quote]

I did not realise you knew him.

[quote name='JDM' post='407140' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:26 PM']Has anyone any idea as to how he produce that raw throaty dry sound as featured in most of the bands early offerings ?[/quote]

The nearest I've got (without resorting to ripping speaker cones!) was by using my Precision with a Hartke VXL Bass Attack pedal. Not 100% right, but you can get that trebly gritty sound. The Ashdown James Lomenzo gets close as well - maybe Ashdown should do a JJB signature pedal?!

[quote name='simon1964' post='407512' date='Feb 12 2009, 12:36 PM']The nearest I've got (without resorting to ripping speaker cones!) was by using my Precision with a Hartke VXL Bass Attack pedal. Not 100% right, but you can get that trebly gritty sound. The Ashdown James Lomenzo gets close as well - maybe Ashdown should do a JJB signature pedal?![/quote]

Recommend it to them dude.. if you don't I will! ;)