Why become a member? ×

UPDATED -Bilbo's 'how to swing on electric bass' thread

Bilbo

[quote name='Hamster' post='407105' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:59 PM']Ummmmmm - if that's you, it's not to bad for a beatnik! ;)[/quote]

It's from a Radio One session I did for Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show in 1981. I was 17 and playing an Aria SB700 through a Frunt amp - with a pick!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='407440' date='Feb 12 2009, 11:27 AM']It's from a Radio One session I did for Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show in 1981. I was 17 and playing an Aria SB700 through a Frunt amp - with a pick![/quote]

Wicked - shame it's a bit on the fuzzy side - good memories though huh?

Miss old Tommy V - RIP you old rocker...I used to listen to him in the 1980s when I was a young metaller myself... yes I loved that sh*t back in the day

M

[quote name='Eight' post='407499' date='Feb 12 2009, 12:21 PM']This thread makes me sad.

Bilb - you coulda made it kid. You coulda lived the dream and played metal... instead you got in with a bad crowd and ended up playing j@zz.[/quote]

But would I have been happy? ;)

The rest of the guys on that recording went on to ........ eh, nothing much. I'll cope with the disappointment!

[quote name='urb' post='412166' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:39 PM']RAWK!!!!!! ;)

That's better - now where's my Iron Maiden t-shirt and frightwig...?[/quote]

What you have to remember about this is that, at this point, Iron Maiden were only really one step up from a pub band and had only recently released their first LP (I saw them on their first major UK tour that year - still with Paul Di'anno on vox). These were the heady days of the NWOBHM (this band played a track on the FM Records compilation 'Metal for Muthas Volume 2') and there were loads of original bands gigging in pubs all over the UK - and not a tribute band in sight.

I was young and impressionable but soon grew out if it but these were my first steps into being a musician and I learned a lot about what it means to play in a band during this period!

[quote name='Lemuel Beam' post='413037' date='Feb 18 2009, 01:41 PM']Diamondhead - wonder what happened to them?[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Head_(band)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Head_(band)[/url]

I still have a copy of their legendary 'white' album that I bought at a gig!