Why become a member? ×

A Gibson G-3

umcoo

Very nice, I like it a lot. I have one of these (or Ripper/Grabber) on my list to buy for the end of this year. It would be great if you could get some sound clips, any chance?

Here are some sound clips of the Grabber:

[url="http://www.flyguitars.com/sounds/grabberpupL.mp3"]Pickup towards the neck, volume and tone control on 10. Played fingerstyle.[/url]

[url="http://www.flyguitars.com/sounds/grabberpupR.mp3"]Pickup towards the bridge, volume and tone control on 10. Played fingerstyle. [/url]

[url="http://www.flyguitars.com/sounds/grabberpupR(pic).mp3"]Pickup towards the bridge, volume and tone control on 10. Played with a pick. [/url]

Lovely bass - never had one of these but my first serious bass was a Ripper (bought second hand in '79 and I still have it). Thanks to Jimbartlett for the soundclips - took me right back! I loved the sound and playability of Rippers: mine plays better than ever but it's been modded out of recognition (we did that in the '70s and '80s) and now sounds nothing like a Ripper. It had one of the first ever active circuits installed and a SD precision pickup between the two Ripper pickups - it sounds great but nothing like it did originally.

[quote name='lozbass' post='406154' date='Feb 11 2009, 12:16 PM']Ripper (I still have it) modded out of recognition - sounds great but nothing like it did originally.[/quote]

We hereby demand pics and soundclips of that too please.

I love Rippers - definately my favourite of the grabber/ripper/g3 group - although many disagree

Nath, it is both filthy and beautiful and the same time! We will defo have to have a session with it through the Sunn, haven't had the chance to rock it hard yet and I;ve almost had it a year!

evillordjuju - I guess you're Jules off the gibsonbass site. Can't do clips sorry. It gets a nice round twangy (but not over trebley) sound with the back 2 pups on, and gives a nice solid chugging tone with all 3. Hard to describe really, I usually keep all 3 on. It's also very resonant. Maybe that has something to do with the finish or the age of it, but it's the 'loudest' unplugged bass I've had. Love it!

Tim, the orange isn't bad at all. I use it just for messing around in the bedroom. ;)
I've got the 20watt version, tried the 35 in the shop and didnt think the larger speaker and line out were worth the extra cost. For bedroom work, the 20watter is spot on, and pretty loud actually. Picked mine up for about £80 new at promenade music in morecambe.

[quote name='evilLordJuju' post='406223' date='Feb 11 2009, 01:16 PM']We hereby demand pics and soundclips of that too please.

I love Rippers - definately my favourite of the grabber/ripper/g3 group - although many disagree[/quote]

Pics aren't too much of a problem (when I get time) but soundclips could be more technically challenging, i.e., I haven't got a clue.

The sound with the Ripper pickups and the active engaged is surprisingly modern (the clank and growl of the original Ripper is gone). Without the passive, the Ripper pickups aren't particularly characteristic/reminiscent of anything. The precision pickup soloed is like err...a Precision (even surpsingly so) - in active mode it sounds like a Precision Special: this is what the circuit was modelled on. The bass was originally natural but now has a 3T sunburst (body and neck) - it's a beautiful job, done around 1980 by the massively talented Ted Lee. Ted did all the work on the bass. He's now retired and living in Australia as far as I know - he sprayed Manzanera's Firebird pillar box red I believe. He really was luthier to the stars and has an unbelievable client list. I'll try to post pictures soon - the finish is in excellent condition. The bass was my main gigging instrument for the first part of my playing career (massively hard work, good fun and unsuccesful) but it was treated with great care.

I too love Rippers and was inspired by Patrick Djivas of PFM (though my playing didn't come close!) - I've frequently toyed with the idea of getting another just to get back to that original sound

Edited by lozbass