Why become a member? ×

Best bassist from the last 10 years?

Randy_Marsh

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='405611' date='Feb 10 2009, 06:42 PM']I really rate Tim Commerford and Flea, but they always seem to come up

possibly Stuart Zender[/quote]
It depends on what you mean by the best..Best commercially, best well known, Best technically...If its technically i would say Julian Crampton, ( he could wipe the floor with most well known bassists) but im sure there are many out there who could match him...

I would say the most exciting and has made a the biggest splash is Tal Wikenfeld!! Also some of the Gospel players are supreme in there bass playing..

People like Flea are good,and i like his playing but only famous because hes in a famous band, and knowhere near as good as some of the lesser known bass players out there... (I will get shot for this), but i think Flea is highly overrated......IMHO

Tis a tricky Q..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='405638' date='Feb 10 2009, 07:06 PM']fair point, i havnt heard of any of those!

thats why this is great, you get to learn about so many players that you wouldnt normally come across[/quote]
Yeah for sure, definately..im going to check out Tom Commerford, ive heard some good things about him ;)

+1 for Julian Crampton.

A true bass icon in my book.

For example:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4P8NruGwH2c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4P8NruGwH2c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

How the [b]hell[/b] do you embed a YouTube player here?

Beyond me completely I'm afraid!!

Edited by bassicinstinct

I find flea to be very a creative and musical player and I find his style of aggressive slap playing to be quite unique (or at least it was towards the earlier stages of his career) and I had no interest in picking up an instrument until I heard the basslines on Blood Sugar Sex Magic so he single handedly inspired me to pick up the bass.

I also like Justin Chancellor from Tool, I think his basslines always sound original, creative and he has great tone.

Les Claypool because....well.....because he's Les Claypool.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='405994' date='Feb 11 2009, 09:27 AM']How the [b]hell[/b] do you embed a YouTube player here?

Beyond me completely I'm afraid!![/quote]

try OPENSQBRACKETyoutubeCLOSESQBRACKET then the last bit of the youtube vid, such as the 4P8NruGwH2c within the url [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P8NruGwH2c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFi80b6TX24[/url], and then OPENSQBRACKET /youtube CLOSESQBRACKET

So it looks like [ youtube ]4P8NruGwH2c[ /youtube ] without the spaces

Edited by Hamster

I think Tal Wilkenfield has had a big impact on bass recently, but I couldn't name one player in particular that's struck me as amazing that's come to prominence in the last 10 years apart from Paul Turner (who incidentally has been playing for much longer anyway). Zender was great also but he's been out since the very early 90's. Tom Barney's playing with Steely Dan is supreme as well.

I love Julian Crampton btw, but I don't think that video did him a lot of justice, he's better when he's sat in the pocket!

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='407062' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:31 PM']Ah great stuff! Yeh Incognito have given the UK a lot to be proud of in terms of great bass players. Randy Hope Taylor is the other obvious example... fantastic stuff![/quote]

Indeed - and he was replaced, in Jeff becks touring band, by one Tal Wilkenfeld. ;)

Spooky eh? :P

Edited by bassicinstinct