Jump to content

Kala u-bass pickup hiss


chrisgriff
 Share

Recommended Posts

I bought a Kala U-bass recently, new, and it’s been great mostly....a couple of weeks after I bought it, a hiss developed which sounds like low level white noise which was rather annoying especially if through headphones, which is how I use it most. A few weeks later the hiss disappeared and it was nice and quiet and back to normal (no idea why).

i took it back to the shop, to ask them to see if they could find out what might be causing it. They couldn’t find anything, perhaps understandable given I took it in when there was no noticeable problem.

They hypothesised (spuriously it turns out) that it was probably my amp....anyway a week later the noise comes back! And so I took it straight back to the shop for another look. I waited a few days and apparently the noise had disappeared again! 
Bought a new small combo (not just to test this out, I was buying it anyway!) and then while playing the hiss kicks in and really noticeable again. so annoying! The techs at the shop just don’t seem to have an idea of what it could be and I think they think I’m making it up 😕

i have returned to the shop who are sending it to Kala for a look, but the shop are saying that if Kala can’t find anything I won’t be able to return it!  
I see their point but it is an intermittent problem which to be honest is all the more annoying because it is so unpredictable. 
Has anyone had a similar issue? 
 

Edited by chrisgriff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ped said:

Definitely not related to any other equipment interference? I find my bass uke hisses a bit when my fluorescent desk lamp is on.

I can’t say for sure, I’ve tried in different rooms in the house and it’s still there - this morning in a room where I had no other electrical items switched on. 

could a mobile cause interference maybe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ped said:

Definitely not related to any other equipment interference? I find my bass uke hisses a bit when my fluorescent desk lamp is on.

That’s interesting thanks ped. Does the interference disappear once you’re away from the fluorescent lamp or if the lamp is switched off?

in my case the interference seems to stay for a while regardless of other factors as far as I can tell 

what I’ve not tried is testing whether my mobile phone could be causing it. If it is a phone causing it does seem odd that it’s not widely reported issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chrisgriff said:

That’s interesting thanks ped. Does the interference disappear once you’re away from the fluorescent lamp or if the lamp is switched off?

in my case the interference seems to stay for a while regardless of other factors as far as I can tell 

what I’ve not tried is testing whether my mobile phone could be causing it. If it is a phone causing it does seem odd that it’s not widely reported issue. 

Yes and if I turn slightly. I remember in an old house my bass amp would make a whining noise when the light in the lounge was on, the room next door. Old wiring I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, ped said:

Yes and if I turn slightly. I remember in an old house my bass amp would make a whining noise when the light in the lounge was on, the room next door. Old wiring I guess. 

Interesting thanks ped, it’s driving me mad and I don’t know if this is something I should just be putting up with or is a ‘fault’ and the shop are not particularly helpful so far 😞 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thankfully the shop have now acknowledged the fault and are going to replace all the electronics (Manufacturer will send new pickup system) ....so if that happens, couldn’t ask for more really and hopefully that will be the problem solved! 
thanks for your input chaps 😊

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...