Why become a member? ×

Underground disco

YouMa

I recently have got my hands on a ton of really rare 70s jazz/funk. I was picking through and found this album by a band called aquarian dream.The bass playing on it is fantastic,i listened to some more and realised there were probably a lot of equally as good players as bernard edwards in the 70s who never got recognised,the standard of bass playing back then was just incredible. Some of the licks on the stuff produced by the mizell brothers are awesome. So now i am back into disco.

Edited by YouMa

Good on ya, it might be a bit of that stuff is collectable. People like DJ Joey Negro and DJ Dimitri have spent years listening through old 70's disco records looking for overlooked grooves and they've paid small fortunes for the rare stuff.

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='403929' date='Feb 8 2009, 11:42 PM']Check out David Bendeth's "Feel the Real" for an awesome Disco/jazz funk bassline.Tis a cracker.[/quote]
Damn, this thread has started me on a nostalgia trip through my vinyl collection and I still have the David Bendeth album with the full length version of 'Feel The Real'. Excellent stuff. Also his track 'Adrenalin', from the same album.

I love that stuff, and I'm a massive French house fan. Just finished a transcription of a Chaka Khan tune called 'Fate', with Anthony Jackson on bass duties. Thomas Bangalter from Daft Punk sampled Hiram Bullock's guitar part from the tune and dropped it in his tune 'The Music Sounds Better With You' under the guise of 'Stardust'. If I can figure out how I'll post the transcription of the bassline, but here's the original song anyway!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MslSBcjtkps"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MslSBcjtkps[/url]