Why become a member? ×

Playing music you dislike, case S. Wonder

nobodysprefect

I never used have a big deal playing MS either but that was in a band that gigged only occasuionally, maybe if I was playing it every weekend it might get tedious. But it's one of those that is so simple it gives you a chance to be imaginitive without giving in to mindless w***ery, no different from a regular 12 bar blues really.

At least MS comes from a Soul background, you can actually get away with being quite funky on it if thats your bag, rather than just the usual 12 bar blues fodder that you get in covers bands. Its at least a small step in the right direction for me.

I'm the only guy in my band who wants it to be funky at all - the rest like blues rock. Its a battle of wills sometimes, but I generally get to subtly undermine them with a bouncier bassline than they though could possibly work ;)

OP, I'd swap your day job with mine in a heartbeat mate. Sounds absolutely fine to me!

[quote name='chris_b' post='404324' date='Feb 9 2009, 02:22 PM']If you play it properly, Mustang Sally is a great number. Listen to Wilson Pickett and check it out. Don't blame the number for all the bad players who have murdered it over the years![/quote]

Reckon that'll be me then!

Well, seems there certainly are people who'd love to change their seats for mine - I'd probably love to sit in yours once! It'd be grand to let my hair down and wail on 'Living loving maid' or 'Black dog' or somesuch classic rock piece just once!

'I Wish' is a tune which I think is rather delicate in the sense that you can't really f*** with it's components too much without losing it's 'I Wishness' - the drummer didn't pull the tempo out of his hat, he plays lots of gigs with the singer and he always uses the metronome to zero in on the tempo. And since it's a relatively simple piece it is no good to not have the hits in the very end.

'Sir duke' is a great piece of music, I'll grant that - and there are some other tunes I really dig by him, but does he have to be so damnably [i]happy[/i] all the time?
Where are my satanic mills, my burning Troys? Whither went sadness that stills, suicidal boys?
But I guess it's just me... For me, 'One' is about right in the saccharine-bitterness axis.

Anyways, I resolved to pick a version of 'Isn't she lovely' (deer lard, [i]such [/i]inane lyrics) and grok the bassline and not think about that tune any more. As regards 'My brown eyed-girl' a recently deceased finnish soul man made his own reggae-ish version of that tune and it totally kills. I'd really rather play that than Wonder's tunes. He re-made the lyrics and they are about [i]LOSS [/i]now!

I'll type up a translation for this thread's enjoyment.

Punatukkainen - My red-haired girl by Van Morrison & Aki Sirkesalo. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg5SibODVG0"]youtube link[/url]

"refrain Shalalalalala.....

1st verse
A lovely memory:
summer and the park
a music festival
rock'n'roll peace and love

laughing and pogoing yea
'Pelle Miljoonaa' <- he's a punk rocker which dates the story. It's in the mid-70's
I wanna make love to you <- name of Pelle Miljoona's greatest hit
you knew what it meant

refrain2: my red-haired girl oh you were my red-haired girl

2nd verse
Morning in Aulanko
breaking fast on the lawn
you led me to the white bower
kept me safe from summer shower

Think it was the last day
before you went away
That smile and kiss
the rest of my life I'll miss

refrain2

do you still remember when
we used to sing

refrain

Do you have regrets over
the way the all that rubbish
claims your life
unless you hold fast to your dreams

You moved to Austria
I entertain the folks in Kokkola <-- the town where the live bit is filmed. Originally at Tavastia, which is an important rock club in Helsinki
When we'll meet again
under the old bower's eaves

my red-haired girl
you are my red-haired girl

and you'll remember when
we used to sing

refrain"

Edited to add:
Aki Sirkesalo was born in 1962 and died on Boxing Day 2004 in Khao Lak alongside his wife and their two children. His last record was released posthumously in Feb 2005. He was known for his inventive lyrics, which I've butchered above, and is sorely missed by musicians and fans alike.

Edited by nobody's prefect

[quote name='nobody's prefect' post='405001' date='Feb 10 2009, 06:46 AM']Well, seems there certainly are people who'd love to change their seats for mine - I'd probably love to sit in yours once! It'd be grand to let my hair down and wail on 'Living loving maid' or 'Black dog' or somesuch classic rock piece just once!

'I Wish' is a tune which I think is rather delicate in the sense that you can't really f*** with it's components too much without losing it's 'I Wishness' - the drummer didn't pull the tempo out of his hat, he plays lots of gigs with the singer and he always uses the metronome to zero in on the tempo. And since it's a relatively simple piece it is no good to not have the hits in the very end.

'Sir duke' is a great piece of music, I'll grant that - and there are some other tunes I really dig by him, but does he have to be so damnably [i]happy[/i] all the time?
Where are my satanic mills, my burning Troys? Whither went sadness that stills, suicidal boys?
But I guess it's just me... For me, 'One' is about right in the saccharine-bitterness axis.

Anyways, I resolved to pick a version of 'Isn't she lovely' (deer lard, [i]such [/i]inane lyrics) and grok the bassline and not think about that tune any more. As regards 'My brown eyed-girl' a recently deceased finnish soul man made his own reggae-ish version of that tune and it totally kills. I'd really rather play that than Wonder's tunes. He re-made the lyrics and they are about [i]LOSS [/i]now!

I'll type up a translation for this thread's enjoyment.[/quote]

Hum That's odd ...

"
Causes of the increased incidence of mental health disorders [in Finland]
The growing numbers do not necessarily indicate an actual increase in the prevalence of mental health disorders. Several factors explain the increase, particularly of depression. First, the awareness of mental health problems has risen among doctors and patients, improving the likelihood of recognition. This is due partly to the availability of new antidepressants and their marketing in the Western world. Clinicians have become more skilled at recognising depression. For instance, people reporting chronic backache and fatigue may also obtain a secondary diagnosis of depression. The stigma traditionally associated with mental health problems is diminishing, and both physicians and service users are more freely discussing these issues. This, in turn, is reflected in the recorded increase in mental health disorders.7 8
Second, changes in the diagnostic systems are partly responsible for the increase. A number of cases that would have been classified under the category of neuroses in the old system now fall under the category of affective disorders (i.e. major depression). At the same time the number of diagnosed neuroses has decreased. "

[url="http://www.ilo.org/public/english/employment/skills/disability/papers/fincover/finpart11.htm"]Report Website[/url]

Doesn't mention Stevie Wonder's happiness here as a cause .. So much for research ...

;)

So, next time she asks you to play just say no ... :P