Why become a member? ×

Awesome sound-Alan Gorrie

Hoppo75

Yeh, nice. Great solid rhythm section. I saw AWB in the 80's (before Hamish Stuart defected to Paul McCartney) at the Lyceum, London, and they blew me away then. Just shows "it ain't what you use, it's the way that you use it!"
Looks and sounds like Gorrie's using an octaver here and there, which does add nicely to what he's doing.

[quote name='Hoppo75' post='402508' date='Feb 6 2009, 11:41 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcUupqtRcL8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcUupqtRcL8[/url]

Playing a Jazz V, through a GK 400RB head and Hartke 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 cabs - an awesome ad for all of this gear methinks.[/quote]
I agree... Suits their sound I think and he has a very easy playing style..

I was in a band which backed him in some sort of hall in reading in the late 60s. He was playing in a band called hopscotch, with onnie the AWB guitarist, and a guy who rested the bottom of his hammond on two 1 gallon castrol GTX tins to raise it up.

He was sh*t hot, and Ive always thought he had a great voice. Was never that fussed about Hamish Stewarrt though

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='402550' date='Feb 7 2009, 01:08 AM']That tune doesn't sound right with one sax. ;)

Didn't think the bass tone was great either, a bit too clean and hi-fi for AWB.[/quote]

I agree with the Sax thing mate, but we'll have to agree to disagree on the tone - YT might not do it justice, but I think it sounds fab.