Why become a member? ×

Selmer double basses

saxobass

Hi all. I have just been offered a Selmer Aristocrat double bass, about 10 years old. This is the American company, who didn`t manufacture stringed instruments. Does anyone know how good this bass might be, and who would have made it for them? I recall being told a long time ago that Kay made basses for Selmer, but don`t know for sure. It would be used for modern jazz and some orchestral work, and I think it is laminated.

[quote name='steviedee' post='402464' date='Feb 6 2009, 10:37 PM']I have a double bass labeled as Selmer, I reckon they imported basses and badged them as Selmer, the one I have is Czech made it's a half size and is really quite beautiful.[/quote]
Any chance of a pic. I've never seen a half size before. Be interesting to see what it looks like.

[quote name='steviedee' post='402464' date='Feb 6 2009, 10:37 PM']I have a double bass labeled as Selmer, I reckon they imported basses and badged them as Selmer, the one I have is Czech made it's a half size and is really quite beautiful.[/quote]
Thanks Stevie. I wonder if it`s the same? I know this one is `blonde` in colour and hope to see it on Monday. Will report back then.

[quote name='BassBus' post='402619' date='Feb 7 2009, 09:41 AM']Any chance of a pic. I've never seen a half size before. Be interesting to see what it looks like.[/quote]

There you go here are a couple of pics, the bad quality one shows the Selmer in relation to my 3/4 Boosey & Hawkes.

[attachment=19965:basses.jpg]

[attachment=19964:small_bass.jpg]

[quote name='steviedee' post='403721' date='Feb 8 2009, 08:07 PM']There you go here are a couple of pics, the bad quality one shows the Selmer in relation to my 3/4 Boosey & Hawkes.

[attachment=19964:small_bass.jpg][/quote]
Thanks for that. Good to see it side by side with a 3/4. It must be so much easier to cart around. Nice looking instrument.

[quote name='BassBus' post='403791' date='Feb 8 2009, 09:14 PM']Thanks for that. Good to see it side by side with a 3/4. It must be so much easier to cart around. Nice looking instrument.[/quote]
Hi again chaps....more info. on the Selmer: the label says `Aristocrat by Selmer. Handmade copy of Antonius Stradivarius. Model No. AR 233. Serial No. AO 126.` I am told it is 10 years old and was then priced at £1200. I really would appreciate any help regarding current value, how good it might be and who actually might have made it.
Cheers.

[quote name='saxobass' post='404076' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:07 AM']Hi again chaps....more info. on the Selmer: the label says `Aristocrat by Selmer. Handmade copy of Antonius Stradivarius. Model No. AR 233. Serial No. AO 126.` I am told it is 10 years old and was then priced at £1200. I really would appreciate any help regarding current value, how good it might be and who actually might have made it.
Cheers.[/quote]
Looked at it today....didn`t think much of it to be honest! Search on!!!

• 1 month later...

I have a Selmer double bass. My luthier said that these basses were made in Checkoslovakia and imported into this country by the Selmer shop in London. Mine is a fully carved blonde made in the 1950s with pine top and maple back and sides.
It's a great bass and has a wanderful sound.

Nello

[attachment=22842:Full_Height.jpg] [attachment=22843:Front_View.jpg] [attachment=22844:scroll.jpg]

[attachment=22845:label.jpg] [attachment=22846:top_back.jpg]

[quote name='saxobass' post='404076' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:07 AM']Hi again chaps....more info. on the Selmer: the label says `Aristocrat by Selmer. Handmade copy of Antonius Stradivarius. Model No. AR 233. Serial No. AO 126.` I am told it is 10 years old and was then priced at £1200. I really would appreciate any help regarding current value, how good it might be and who actually might have made it.
Cheers.[/quote]
Don't know if you have googled "Antonius Stradivarius" but the link below throughs up some interesting info on the labeling if it's of any help.

[url="http://www.afvbm.com/strad.htm"]http://www.afvbm.com/strad.htm[/url]