Why become a member? ×

Anyone recommend a good recording studio in the West Midlands?

tonyf

Howdy all!

My covers band is looking to record three to five songs over the next couple of months. We're reaching the stage where we're looking to poach more gigs (other than the usual handful of venues we usually do by word of mouth) and consequently need something convincingly punchy and "live" to drop onto a CD/DVD and also paste onto our website.

We're a four piece playing rock covers. Guitar/Vox, Guitar, Drums and me doing the Bassin! Having played the tunes extensively over the past four to five years, we're wanting something that sounds "live" and spontaneous (reflecting what we are as a live band) but also is quality recorded and consequently tonally rich and full on.

Any ideas of suitable (and cost effective) recording studios? We're Birmingham, Solihull and Rugeley based so areas in the region thereof?

Cheers me dears!
Tony

[quote name='tonyf' post='401531' date='Feb 5 2009, 09:36 PM']Howdy all!

My covers band is looking to record three to five songs over the next couple of months. We're reaching the stage where we're looking to poach more gigs (other than the usual handful of venues we usually do by word of mouth) and consequently need something convincingly punchy and "live" to drop onto a CD/DVD and also paste onto our website.

We're a four piece playing rock covers. Guitar/Vox, Guitar, Drums and me doing the Bassin! Having played the tunes extensively over the past four to five years, we're wanting something that sounds "live" and spontaneous (reflecting what we are as a live band) but also is quality recorded and consequently tonally rich and full on.

Any ideas of suitable (and cost effective) recording studios? We're Birmingham, Solihull and Rugeley based so areas in the region thereof?

Cheers me dears!
Tony[/quote]

I did some work at Moonbase in Coventry recently, nice little place.

Used to do stuff with Gavin at Magic Garden in Wolverhampton. Gavin has been in the game 20+ years at least. He is excellent and a really great bloke. He is a pretty accomplished musician, great backing singer and has a real ear for production.

Highly recommended.

PS. I Googled him and I see he has a myspace site but I cany open it at work. You should get a good idea from there.

Edited by Mr Fudge

We went to magic garden, and I would echo everything you've said but add....

He has a ton of amazing gear, loads of cool stories and loads of knowledge. However, after two days in there we came away with 2 songs roughly mixed expecting them to sound amazing due to his reputation, and they sounded crap. I'm sure if we'd gone back in they would have sounded great in the end, but it would take more time.

The only reason we didn't go back was because our manager refused to pay for another session. We wanted to, so this isn't a bad review, it's just he's quite pricey and you will need plenty of time IMHO.

[quote name='tonyf' post='401531' date='Feb 5 2009, 09:36 PM']Howdy all!

Cheers me dears!
Tony[/quote]

Feel free to ping me a pm.