Why become a member? ×

Bass and Guitar Dimentions

bassmasta

Hey to all,

I am currently doing a design and technology course based on an LED illumination system, for a bass or guitar. I really could do with some help to find out the sort of "average" sizes of basses and guitars. Key one is Neck length and width, however as many dimentions as possible would be great.

Thanks ;)

Nick

Normal scale length for a bass is 34 inches, guitars are 24.5 to 25.5 inches, then you have to add on 6 or 7 inches for the headstock and a few inches for the heel.
Average body size is max 14" across and up to 18" long (from the heel to the tip of the upper horn) - these dimensions are very rounh.
Most guitar bodies are in the order of 45mm thick. need anything more specific?

Do you mean "neck length" or "scale length"?

These are NOT the same thing at all.

If "neck length" then are you including the length of the headstock?

Before you get deluged with dimensions (note spelling BTW) you may want to be a bit more specific about what you need.

Take your tape measure to a music shop.
For an average bass measure a Jazz Bass and also measure one with a two octave neck
That should do it.

So how does Martin Simms install LEDs without destroying the neck? If you find out please PM me cos I've wondered for years ..
Some say he uses trained woodworm from North Korea ...

Thanks guys

Just needing ANY dimentions at all, just for a research section in my project. i have an Ibanez which is pretty average for a 24 fret bass, and a Precision which is average for the smaller fender scale.

Any more then please keep them coming! or if you know any websites that i have missed, please link me! very hard to find any sort of diagrams with dimentions on the net, for solid body electric style.

I was looking into alternative ways that "the average player" could illuminate their bass/guitar, without going down the expensive custom LEDs in fretboard route. for example LED strips down side of neck or light box placed on the strings after knut on headstock.

Cheers
Nick

For a slightly shorter scale (32") Aria CSB380 the fretboard to the inside of the nut is 603mm and a further 190mm to the end of the headstock.

I note you say "the smaller Fender scale" - I don't know exactly which Ibanez you've got but it's likely the same scale as the Fender (34"). Like Happy Jack says, scale and neck lengths are different things. Scale length is the distance from the bridge to the nut and is most often 34".

<Quick edit for noob-like mistake :blush: >

Edited by Musky

ha... ok sorry guys

i have to admit i dont really know what im talking about here, sorry, from what you have all been saying im looking for neck length (which includes the head stock???).

sorry to mess you all around, should have sorted out jargon before posting.

neck width (nut and body end) would also be another good one to know.

thanks

[quote name='bassmasta' post='401463' date='Feb 5 2009, 08:23 PM']ha... ok sorry guys

i have to admit i don't really know what I'm talking about here, sorry. From what you have all been saying I'm looking for neck length (which includes the head stock???).

sorry to mess you all around, should have sorted out jargon before posting.

neck width (nut and body end) would also be another good one to know.

thanks[/quote]

Annotate a picture and post that to show what you want.

If you have a 24 fret Ibby and a P bass you've got it covered, I'd say.

The "average" bass has a 34 inch scale no matter how many frets it has - that's the vibrating string length.
32 and 35 inch scale lengths are available but a lot less common and 36's are around too, balanced for statistical purposes by the Ashbory which is about 2 inches long I think .....
You can get the nut width from the makers websites stats pages like this one from [url="http://www.fender.com/products//view_specs.php?full_partno=0194060&name=American+Deluxe+Precision+Bass%26reg%3B"]Fender.com[/url]

So taking those measurements as your gauge, you can work everything else out from a picture such as this [url="http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/basses/0194060764_xl.jpg"]P Bass[/url]

You may want to have a look here on [url="https://fretfx.com/"]https://fretfx.com/[/url] ..

They have stick-on glow dots, stick on light up side markers

and the [url="http://www.fretlord.com/FretlightZ_LED_fretboard_illuminator.htm"]fretboard illuminator[/url]

Light up side marker dots are fantastic and I use them all the time to find a starting note in the dark but an illuminated fretboard is not needed. It's never that dark once your are playing unless your avantguard nu-metal band plays in total darkness or you are are doing sneaky strumming under the duvet at boarding school ;) ..

and then there is the The SimS SensiLight System... Download the video [url="http://www.simscustom.com/video/sensilights.wmv"]here[/url]

I hope you are coming up with something different ....

[quote name='OldGit' post='401499' date='Feb 5 2009, 08:58 PM']... but an illuminated fretboard is not needed.[/quote]

Depends on the fretboard. I have a Dean BB2 which has a very dark fretboard, no fretboard markers on the neck and very small marker dots up the edge. I've been in a situation in a very dingy pub where I couldn't work out where I was on the fretboard. The fretboard illuminator has sorted out the problem, at the expense of looking a bit bizarre.

[quote name='pete.young' post='401513' date='Feb 5 2009, 09:14 PM']Depends on the fretboard. I have a Dean BB2 which has a very dark fretboard, no fretboard markers on the neck and very small marker dots up the edge. I've been in a situation in a very dingy pub where I couldn't work out where I was on the fretboard. The fretboard illuminator has sorted out the problem, at the expense of looking a bit bizarre.[/quote]

but illuminated side markers would have done the trick (ie given you some location clues) without looking bizarre.,..

Do you get blinded by the light source when you go looking at an F on the E string? I just wondered..