Why become a member? ×

So which Telecaster bass?

Linus27

Apart from the original, which I have owned one and sold on, which of the four models is the best? In fact, is there any difference in the three models in terms of quality, tone, playability etc. The four I am thinking of are,

1. 1990's Japanese Fender re-issue
2. Current 51' Japanese re-issue
3. Sting Signature
4. Mike Dirnt Signature

Apart from the obvious like slab body, rosewood neck, pickup configuration, sting inlay on the various models, Is there really much in it between the four models?

Any thoughts on any differences or which ones to avoid or go for would be really appreciated.

[quote name='Linus27' post='398230' date='Feb 2 2009, 07:37 PM']Apart from the original, which I have owned one and sold on, which of the four models is the best? In fact, is there any difference in the three models in terms of quality, tone, playability etc. The four I am thinking of are,

1. 1990's Japanese Fender re-issue
2. Current 51' Japanese re-issue
3. Sting Signature
4. Mike Dirnt Signature

Apart from the obvious like slab body, rosewood neck, pickup configuration, sting inlay on the various models, Is there really much in it between the four models?

Any thoughts on any differences or which ones to avoid or go for would be really appreciated.[/quote]
i would love to vote for my obvious choice buddy, but as i havnt played the other three i a unqualified to comment really..however if you live anywhere near me your welcome to try my tv yellow beauty (It is so NOT vintage white lol) for a gig and see what you think..

The Dirnt is, really, a totally different bass. Arm contour, rosewood board, 70s tuners, CS59 split coil p/up, BadAss II top-load bridge. The rest are all variants of the SCPB, or Single-Coil Precision Bass, with reverse tuners, and two-saddle strings-thru-body loading. They are all great basses.

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='ogri' post='398235' date='Feb 2 2009, 07:48 PM']i would love to vote for my obvious choice buddy, but as i havnt played the other three i a unqualified to comment really..however if you live anywhere near me your welcome to try my tv yellow beauty (It is so NOT vintage white lol) for a gig and see what you think..[/quote]

Thank you, that would be cool. I did actually try one when I was looking for basses and I thought it sounded amazing. Really nice angry Fender sound. Very impressed.

[quote name='Linus27' post='398680' date='Feb 3 2009, 10:35 AM']Thank you, that would be cool. I did actually try one when I was looking for basses and I thought it sounded amazing. Really nice angry Fender sound. Very impressed.[/quote]
the offers there my friend. lurvvve the black jazz incidently. and as much as i really like me new 'un, my jazz(with just the neck pick up turned up which is how i only ever use it) will always be my favourite bass, both for playability and sound. it does feel damn cool playing a tele though, dunno why, it just really does.. ;)

[quote name='ogri' post='398692' date='Feb 3 2009, 10:46 AM']the offers there my friend. lurvvve the black jazz incidently. and as much as i really like me new 'un, my jazz(with just the neck pick up turned up which is how i only ever use it) will always be my favourite bass, both for playability and sound. it does feel damn cool playing a tele though, dunno why, it just really does.. :P[/quote]

Cool, thank you. My black Jazz is an ESP 400 Series from 1988. Pretty rare and probably the nicest Jazz I have ever played. It has the thinest neck ever. It will never be sold ;)

I would love to get an original Japanese 90's Telecaster in the pale yellow. It was a very pale yellow and nothing like the butterscotch that they do now. The thing is they are super super rare but I would love to get one. Doubt I will ever find one though.

[quote name='sixshooter' post='398743' date='Feb 3 2009, 11:39 AM']I would also be keen to know if anyone has got, or tried the Custom Shop 55 reissue Bass?[/quote]

I tried one at the 2004 London Guitar Show. Wasn't a patch on my Sting, and the Custom Shop has never got the placement of the pickup cover correct on these (OK, that's really small niggle, but...). In fact, you can't install the pickup cover on any current SCPB without reshaping the pickguard slightly - they simply haven't got the pattern right.

[quote name='Telebass' post='398758' date='Feb 3 2009, 11:59 AM']I tried one at the 2004 London Guitar Show. Wasn't a patch on my Sting, and the Custom Shop has never got the placement of the pickup cover correct on these (OK, that's really small niggle, but...). In fact, you can't install the pickup cover on any current SCPB without reshaping the pickguard slightly - they simply haven't got the pattern right.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Considered the Sting, but not sure I want his name written on the 12th fret of my Bass, after all he does not have my name written on his ;)

Edited by sixshooter

[quote name='artisan' post='399032' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:18 PM']hows about this one ;)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40101"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40101[/url][/quote]

I noticed this one, if it had the contour then I would have it off you. But then again it would not be a 51 then! :P

[quote name='artisan' post='399032' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:18 PM']hows about this one ;)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40101"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40101[/url][/quote]

HEHEHE I had one of those in that exact colour. Great bass but at the time I just never needed it and it just sat in the case doing nothing so I sold it on here. If I buy a new one, then it has to be in either blonde which means the early 90's model or maybe in sunburst.

[quote name='sixshooter' post='399043' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:32 PM']Thanks for the info.

Considered the Sting, but not sure I want his name written on the 12th fret of my Bass, after all he does not have my name written on his ;)[/quote]

Over on talkbass, someone has taken the Sting inlay out and filled it in and it looks brilliant.

[quote name='Linus27' post='399052' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:38 PM']Over on talkbass, someone has taken the Sting inlay out and filled it in and it looks brilliant.[/quote]

May end up doing that, other options are to get my local Luthier to build one, (expensive but nice), or buy a 2nd hand CS, (even more expensive and not found any 2nd hand yet).

I'm thinking Sonic Blue would be a good colour! ;)

[quote name='sixshooter' post='399061' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:46 PM']May end up doing that, other options are to get my local Luthier to build one, (expensive but nice), or buy a 2nd hand CS, (even more expensive and not found any 2nd hand yet).

I'm thinking Sonic Blue would be a good colour! ;)[/quote]

Sonic blue would look ace. I see your in Surrey like me. Who is your Luthier and where is he based and is he any good?

[quote name='Linus27' post='399069' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:52 PM']Sonic blue would look ace. I see your in Surrey like me. Who is your Luthier and where is he based and is he any good?[/quote]

Joe White, about 1 mile from Ash Vale station. And yes he is very good, he was at the last Bass Bash in Guildford setting up Basses.

[quote name='sixshooter' post='399078' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:58 PM']Joe White, about 1 mile from Ash Vale station. And yes he is very good, he was at the last Bass Bash in Guildford setting up Basses.[/quote]

Ah ha, I was chatting with Hampster about him and will be taking my Musicman to him to setup sometime soon. I am in Camberley so only a couple a miles away. Probably not worth taking my MIM Fender Jazz 70's re-issue to him as its only a couple of months old and only needs a basic setup so I might take that to Andertons.

[quote name='Linus27' post='399091' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:10 PM']Ah ha, I was chatting with Hampster about him and will be taking my Musicman to him to setup sometime soon. I am in Camberley so only a couple a miles away. Probably not worth taking my MIM Fender Jazz 70's re-issue to him as its only a couple of months old and only needs a basic setup so I might take that to Andertons.[/quote]

A number of people on this forum use him, (OBBM for one). He will do a basic setup as well, worth getting a quote if you are going to be there anyway. Sue makes a nice cup of tea as well!

[quote name='sixshooter' post='399096' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:15 PM']A number of people on this forum use him, (OBBM for one). He will do a basic setup as well, worth getting a quote if you are going to be there anyway. Sue makes a nice cup of tea as well![/quote]

Ah ok, that would be handy if he can do a basic setup as I don't really fancy taking it to Andertons. Plus I love tea ;):)

I am actually now thinking about getting the Mike Dirnt bass in the Vintage White and then getting hold of either a 51' re-issue neck or Squire 50's Vibe neck so I then get the maple neck. Would be a little different but should play and sound great.

[quote name='Linus27' post='399949' date='Feb 4 2009, 01:34 PM']I am actually now thinking about getting the Mike Dirnt bass in the Vintage White and then getting hold of either a 51' re-issue neck or Squire 50's Vibe neck so I then get the maple neck. Would be a little different but should play and sound great.[/quote]

Which Dirnt were you thinking about - the Squier or the Fender? (I have my reasons for asking...) ;)