Why become a member? ×

Behringer EQ

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='395222' date='Jan 30 2009, 10:31 AM']Any good?

I just bought one because it was cheap. Have I fallen into the old Behringer trick or is it usable?[/quote]

I've got one, and it does what it says on the tin. They're not the sturdiest bit of kit, plastic rather than metal casing, but they do an adequate job.

[quote name='crez5150' post='395234' date='Jan 30 2009, 10:45 AM']I fell for the Behringer trick once..... never again.[/quote]

Depends what you mean by the ''trick''. I had a Behringer tuner which was hopless. But some of their cheap stomp boxes do a job. At £15 a throw, you can't expect something built like a top of the range boutique pedal, and I would be reluctant to use one live. But their Sansamp clone (BDI 21?) has some really good sounds at a tiny fraction of the price of the real thing.

I know you can get into the whole copy / ripoff debate, but some of their pedals do a decent job at a good price.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' post='395246' date='Jan 30 2009, 11:04 AM']Depends what you mean by the ''trick''. I had a Behringer tuner which was hopless. But some of their cheap stomp boxes do a job. At £15 a throw, you can't expect something built like a top of the range boutique pedal, and I would be reluctant to use one live. But their Sansamp clone (BDI 21?) has some really good sounds at a tiny fraction of the price of the real thing.

I know you can get into the whole copy / ripoff debate, but some of their pedals dop a decent job at a good price.[/quote]

S'funny.... it was the Tuner I bought..... had a wedding gig and left my usual one at home..... popped into denmark street picked one up for £15. Thought it'd do for the gig..... packed up after the first set...

[quote name='crez5150' post='395258' date='Jan 30 2009, 11:15 AM']S'funny.... it was the Tuner I bought..... had a wedding gig and left my usual one at home..... popped into denmark street picked one up for £15. Thought it'd do for the gig..... packed up after the first set...[/quote]

My Behringer tuner was pretty crappy at picking the E on my bass guitar. Its, however, a revelation with my double bass!! Whod've thunk it?

Is the EQ a graphic pedal? I was slightly interested in one of these.

[quote name='ardi100' post='395315' date='Jan 30 2009, 12:20 PM']My Behringer tuner was pretty crappy at picking the E on my bass guitar. Its, however, a revelation with my double bass!! Whod've thunk it?

Is the EQ a graphic pedal? I was slightly interested in one of these.[/quote]

Yeah I fancied a graphic EQ so I could go to "dub mode" during Punk/Ska songs and thought for the price it would be worth trying.

As with all super-cheap stuff, you are bound to experience reliability issues.
But the real problem isn't in the build quality itself (although low, it still will work decently), but in the quality check.
In the cheap stuff, they tend to skip the QC phase altogether (or only do a quick, superficial test), so it's all down to luck, really.
I've had a BDI21 which has worked fine for over a year, then a pot (quite vital, unfortunately... the Drive pot) stopped working, and to repair it would cost more than it's worth (considering the hassle). I must say, though, the pedal has been:

- dropped
- hit by a falling bass
- powered for a short while with a wrong power supply

and it still kept on working.

The other problem with Behringer stuff is that you can't try them beforehand.

Besides this, they CAN sound pretty decent, really. The phaser's quite nice, the EQ I remember it being adequate, choruses and flangers are quite usable, if not "refined".

[quote name='simon1964' post='395224' date='Jan 30 2009, 10:36 AM']I've got one, and it does what it says on the tin. They're not the sturdiest bit of kit, plastic rather than metal casing, but they do an adequate job.[/quote]

I was gonna say pretty much the same thing, except I'm a bit weary of plastic casing and Behringer reliability. Also, I didn't like the fact that there was no stop in the middle of the sliders for flat. I ended up substituting mine for one of these -

I couldn't tell the difference between it and the Boss version, except the £30 price difference and the markers are a tad out on mine. At flat, the center of the sliders are just below the center markers.

Edited by redzombie

I've got a behringer limiter, it's not half bad,i agree with most people, it does what it says on the tin, but it is made of plastic, i'm too afraid to stomp on it, i activate it very gently by hand and leave it. It's not gonna last 50 years like a boss or a highe end boutique pedal, but for £10 -£15 it doesn't have to