Why become a member? ×

Hartke HA2500

Hoppo75

It'll sound different, it lacks the tube and solid state dual preamp of the HA3500, with "tube emulation" instead, it's also quite a bit less powerful. I've only seen a few on here, most people just get the bigger brother (3500) second hand as they're had for pretty much the same price as a new HA2500.

Personally, If you're looking at buying a new Hartke, get the LH500.

Not only is it gettable for ~£230, which is only £70 more than the HA2500 and the same price as the 3500, it's also double the power. And it comes with a proper tube preamp as well. Getting rave reviews, lots of people picking them up as backup heads and as lightweight main heads.
The 500w @ 4 ohms will serve you well enough if you want a 2 cab setup, but even if you run just one 8ohm cab it'll still put out in the region of 350w, which is plenty for pretty much all pub gigs.

Thats great mate. The LH500 looks excellent, especially for the price.

Just had a read of the LH500 info and most ads say that it's been designed to drive the 'Hydrive' cab range. I don't think I'd be looking at the hydrive range, as I think I'd get better value going 2nd hand on the cabs, so would be looking at SWR/Hartke pro range. I also want to remain fairly portable, hence would be running 1 cab (2x10/2x12). I play such a wide range of music, I need to be able to switch from a tasty funky slap tone to a nice, deep country ballad tone. I think the head will give me a massive amount of control, and a friend has recommended the 2x12 Hartke Pro, but I've been a combo man (same combo) for 20 years so I'm totally out of touch. Can anyone recommend a cab to match what I'm looking for?

thx from a numpty.

[quote name='Hoppo75' post='395177' date='Jan 30 2009, 09:24 AM']Thats great mate. The LH500 looks excellent, especially for the price.

Just had a read of the LH500 info and most ads say that it's been designed to drive the 'Hydrive' cab range. I don't think I'd be looking at the hydrive range, as I think I'd get better value going 2nd hand on the cabs, so would be looking at SWR/Hartke pro range. I also want to remain fairly portable, hence would be running 1 cab (2x10/2x12). I play such a wide range of music, I need to be able to switch from a tasty funky slap tone to a nice, deep country ballad tone. I think the head will give me a massive amount of control, and a friend has recommended the 2x12 Hartke Pro, but I've been a combo man (same combo) for 20 years so I'm totally out of touch. Can anyone recommend a cab to match what I'm looking for?

thx from a numpty.[/quote]

There was a Hartke 2x12 for sale on here for ages. I reckon that would sound pretty good with the LH500.

The LH500 is a great choice. Regarding cabs I think the key is to stay away from any that are naturally mid-scooped because the Fender tone-stack in the LH500 doesn't give you any way of compensating for that. Fortunately more cabs are midrangey than not but I'd avoid Aguilar GS112s like the plague and quite a few Peaveys. On the other hand SWR, Eden XLT, Trace Elliot should be fine. Ironically I'd not be too sure about all Hartke models but I suspect the XL and the more recent Pro cabs would be decent.

Alex

I'd suggest you try both the HA3500 and the LH500.

I've only read about the LH500, and it's supposed to be a very good amp (for the price, at least), but bear in mind it is somewhat "limited" (it is subjective, though) since it has a passive tone stack (which I don't like, it is counterintuitive, plus I like to fine-tune. It must be said, it has its qualities though, one being a very "musical" shaping of your sound), plus I gather it doesn't have the sound Hartke is known for (a bit like Ampeg and its PB series), but then again, I've never tried it.
The HA3500 has probably more of the Hartke trademark sound (it is THE Hartke amp, after all), it has a more powerful active graphic EQ (but maybe, less user-friendly, in a way, it's easier to get crap EQs with it), a double preamp, and despite being only a 350W head, it is VERY loud nonetheless.

Hartke LH all the way. The 1000 sounds nice through an SWR Triad, a Demetriades custom 1x15, and Carslboro 1x15 & a Hartke 4x10. Of course Hartke say it's designed for the HyDrive cabs - they are their new ones!

EDIT: And none of that new-fangled graphic eq malarkey to twiddle constantly / f*** up your sound.

Edited by johnnylager