Why become a member? ×

Any double bass technique bibles out there?

zukathon

hello
I've been mainly a bass guitar player for the last 20 years, but started out in the world of low notes on the double bass at school. My one regret is that I didn't keep up the lessons that were on offer for me and whereas i've developed proficiency on the guitar, my upright playing is at what I describe as 'hobby level'. I own a nice double bass that I would love to get into playing properly but feel that I would get the best out of it if I had the chance to improve my technique on it.

I was wondering whether there were any revered technique books out there that would improve both my pizzicato and arco skills? Can anyone recommend any that they have used or know that others swear by?

Cheers guys - any responses are much appreciated.

Rufus Reids' book 'The evolving Bassist' is also very good. However I would recommend you book a lesson with a bass teacher to explain some of the techniques properly as it's more effective to be shown how to do something properly by an expert rather than trying to work it out from a book.

I was in pretty much the same place as you when I started playing DB a few years ago. I got Rufus' book and started working through the exercises but I didn't really 'get' how he explained thing like proper stance and plucking techinque. As a result, I started to get pains in my right shoulder, forearm and little and ring fingers - not good...

I ended up booking a one hour lesson with a proper bass teacher - he corrected my stance, my plucking technique and my fingering and gave me about 3 years worth of practice material - all for £25. Now, about a year later, I'm still working through the practice material and the pain has gone. it was probably the best £25 I've ever spent.

Good luck!

Dave

As others have mentioned, Simandl is very good and pretty much the Bible, although you definitely need some guidance to get the most from it. There are some alternatives out there; one I've come across recently is "Creative Bass Techniques" by Portnoi, which seems to be out of print. However, if you google "creativebasstechniques.pdf" you should be able to find a copy.

This book is fascinating, as it takes a different approach to many, starting in the middle of the fingerboard rather than the bottom. It has many interesting facets that I've found useful - worth a look IMHO.

I've mentioned before (to some derision :-) that going through the "Tune a Day" double bass books 1 & 2 is a useful exercise... but it is.

Jennifer

There's also the Rabbath method books which are based on pivoting on the thumb and can reach a lot more notes per position. Very interesting stuff though I stick to Simandl.
Petracchi simplified higher technique is a good one for all the thumb postion and beyond stuff.
Not really a bible (more like 2 pages) but Duncan McTier's daily exercises are a good workout for advanced players (scales in 5ths, 6ths, octaves etc)

Also, Neil Tarlton's edition of Sevcik is amazing. The entire bowing method bible adapted for bass from the original violin verson.

Not seen the Portnoi before, I'll have to check it out.

Edited by chrkelly

Vance also has a take on the Rabbath method:

[url="http://www.boosey.com/pages/shop/composer/titles.asp?author=Vance%2C+George"]http://www.boosey.com/pages/shop/composer/...Vance%2C+George[/url]

I quite like them.

The book that I've been taught from in the past is "Double Bass Solo" (Keith Hartley) - but this isn't really a 'bible', more of a set of pieces that help learn techniques and positions (in the Simandl sense of the word).