Why become a member? ×

advice needed on which digital recorder to get

photographymatt

topic title says it all folks:-)

I was considering the boss micro BR as it seems a good lil box that will let me record with little to no issues, but my guitarist has a korg d4 which from reasearch also seems pretty good.

All I need it for is for recording my own ideas, acoustic and such but also for bass ideas in my band to send to the other members for crit.

what are your thoughts on these products, any other suggestions? the korg would mean about £50ish, the boss £150....so the korgs price is more attractive to a poor fella like myself:-) Dont want to bother with pc/mac software as I need something I could happily take anywhere(leave in the gig bag) for when ideas come to me, and when home..well my laptop isnt great:-)

thank you again all

matt h

I've been using a "line6 backtrack" which my girlfriend got me for christmas. I record all my ideas on it, either with a mic, or plugged in. Then once a week I put them onto the computer and listen to them all and cut out the good bits to show to others or work on myself. I'm not sure how much they are. I love it so much because the quality of the mic is simply amazing for the size of it.

I used to have a Zoom MRS-4 (think I still do somewhere) and it was superb. Fantastic quality, easy to use, batteries last ages, weighed nothing and with a 32MB smartmedia card had tons of storage.

Some of the songs on my website were recorded with it. I played the bass to a click, posted the zoom to my brother and he did drums, he posted it to the guitar player and he posted it back. Great fun to record in this way, the song I got back was a complete suprise and awesome!!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='photographymatt' post='393600' date='Jan 28 2009, 12:54 PM']interesting box, can it do effects? the line6 seems very basic but would do what I want. how much space does it have?[/quote]

It doesn't do effects, not sure of the memory capacity. It's very small in physical size. I tend to put it on "auto record" and just mark the occasional riff. I use it on average 30 minutes per day, and I only leave it plugged into the computer for 10 minutes while I copy the files etc. This gives you an idea of the amount of time it can record for, and the amount of time the battery lasts for.

The Zoom H4 has always looked great to me, but I have a proper recording set up so this little line6 dealy is just what I need and nothing more.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='cheddatom' post='393748' date='Jan 28 2009, 03:24 PM']It doesn't do effects, not sure of the memory capacity. It's very small in physical size. I tend to put it on "auto record" and just mark the occasional riff. I use it on average 30 minutes per day, and I only leave it plugged into the computer for 10 minutes while I copy the files etc. This gives you an idea of the amount of time it can record for, and the amount of time the battery lasts for.

The Zoom H4 has always looked great to me, but I have a proper recording set up so this little line6 dealy is just what I need and nothing more.[/quote]
I'm curious to know if you could plug a mic into the backtrack's guitar input? Say a boundary mic to make rough recordings of rehersals?