Fancy a bit of Motown?

In this video lesson I take a look at five bass lines from some of my favourite classic Motown tunes. 

All these bass lines are the work of The Don of Motown - James Jamerson. 

I have also written them out on a PDF which you can download from the video description on YouTube 

There is a notation or Tab version. 

Let me know what you think of the video. 

Edited by Cat Burrito
video not embedded
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, greghagger said:

Cheers @thebigyin  Motown is so great for bass isn’t it! 

Sure is Greg.....Jamerson was the reason I picked up Bass, thanks again.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 07:25, greghagger said:

Cheers @thebigyin  Motown is so great for bass isn’t it! 

No matter what kind of music people play, I don't see why any bass player wouldn't spend time getting Motown basslines under their fingers, just to learn the art of propulsive melodic groove.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/02/2020 at 10:27, mangotango said:

No matter what kind of music people play, I don't see why any bass player wouldn't spend time getting Motown basslines under their fingers, just to learn the art of propulsive melodic groove.

I agree, so much to learn from Motown bass lines. The art of being busy but playing what’s appropriate.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By greghagger
      Along with the major scale which I covered a few weeks ago, the minor scale is just as important to know if you want to understand the basics of music theory. 
      Knowledge of these scales will help you understand harmony, construct intervals, learn chord tones and venture into modes. 
      This week I look at the natural minor  scale. 
      You can download the free PDF in the video description on YouTube. 

https://youtu.be/VtGknyYLzlU

• By IanA
      Cash price £1100

For sale or trade 
      Musicman Cutlas in White with Maple neck and Mint pick guard.
      The condition is almost as new, there is just one small mark on the back and some very minor scratches on the pick guard under the strings. Comes with original hard case.
      Sound wise this is like a 50’s Precision with some added oomph in the low end, the nut width is 41.3 it is incredibly slick and fast to play.
      Weight is 4kg
      build quality is absolutely stunning, it Easily compares with any of the other boutique basses that I have owned.
      I would prefer to trade rather than sell and would like to swap/trade depending on condition for an American Original/Vintage Precision. I prefer the wider nut width of those bases...
      I am including a spare set of hardly used Labella 760 FL included in sale, the bass is currently strung with Dunlop Superbrights 45-105
      I would consider an American Original Jazz  as an option, American standard with cash my way 
      will also consider Lull/Nordstrand etc...
      Weight must be around the 4kg mark give or take.
      thanks for looking, let me know what you have got!
      I have uploaded some of the photos from when I bought it only a few weeks ago...
      Ian

• By DigbyLLovatt
      £450 £400
      Selling this great P Bass as it never gets used!
      Bought it for a tour, but ended up using a different bass, so it's never been used apart from 2 rehearsals!
      Perfect condition apart from slight ding on its side, which is hardly noticeable. The previous owner had the fretboard edges rolled off by a top luthier so it feels lovely to play!
      Collection from West London, or shipping at buyers expense 

• By chenzo_1
      1977 Fender Precision P Bass Shell pink with original case

Purchased this a few months back and it's been sat waiting to be played and I've not really had the time to give it.  With no time due a new job and a house move coming up I need to thin the herd so unfortunately as the last one in it's gotta be the first one out. 
      In amazing shape for its ages, the action is currently low and very comfortable. The frets are in great shape. It has a rosewood board with Pearl dot inlays. The back of neck has some wear off of the lacquer from being played but that is the most significant sign of use on the whole guitar.
      I'm pretty sure its a refin as the colour is super clean and the paint is perfect.  The owner before had it in a studio. Weight of the bass is about 10lbs/4.5kg
      Photos are from previous owner and can take more if needed. Last photo is for reference for colour against my Flea Jazz Bass.
      Would prefer not to ship due to age and value.  PM if necessary.