Fancy a bit of Motown?

In this video lesson I take a look at five bass lines from some of my favourite classic Motown tunes. 

All these bass lines are the work of The Don of Motown - James Jamerson. 

I have also written them out on a PDF which you can download from the video description on YouTube 

There is a notation or Tab version. 

Let me know what you think of the video. 

Edited by Cat Burrito
video not embedded
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gary mac said:

Thanks for posting, good job.

Cheers, glad you enjoyed the video. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, greghagger said:

Cheers @thebigyin  Motown is so great for bass isn’t it! 

Sure is Greg.....Jamerson was the reason I picked up Bass, thanks again.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 07:25, greghagger said:

Cheers @thebigyin  Motown is so great for bass isn’t it! 

No matter what kind of music people play, I don't see why any bass player wouldn't spend time getting Motown basslines under their fingers, just to learn the art of propulsive melodic groove.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/02/2020 at 10:27, mangotango said:

No matter what kind of music people play, I don't see why any bass player wouldn't spend time getting Motown basslines under their fingers, just to learn the art of propulsive melodic groove.

I agree, so much to learn from Motown bass lines. The art of being busy but playing what’s appropriate.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By gary mac
      A stunning example of Leo Fender’s G&L P bass.
      It’s a proper U.S. model built in 2016 at the Fullerton, California plant. Hang tag, warranty card, certificate, spec sheet etc is included.

Alder body.
      Finish is cherry burst.
      The three ply guard is more like the lovely old vintage looking tort.
      Saddle lock bridge.
      9.5 radius dark Rosewood fret board. Bone nut. Width at the nut is 1.5/8th”.
      Frets are medium/jumbo and all seated and finished perfectly.
      G&L Alnico pick up
      G&L ultralite tuners.
      Weight is 9lb 12oz.
      Original hard-shell, black tolex case, which looks almost as new.

This bass has not had a hard life, the first owner only used it at home, I’ve gigged it twice.
      Although I believe it left the factory,  with round wound strings, the previous owner fitted a set of flats, so there is no fret wear.
      Condition is near perfect, with just a little swirling/signs of use to the pick guard.

Lovely tight, neck pocket and with six securing screws, the neck/body joint is rock solid.
      I love this bass, it’s comfortable to play seated or standing, looks amazing and sounds great in a band setting.
      My reason for selling? Well a near miss last night, on a crowded stage, when our drummer knocked over a heavy cymbal stand, made me rethink gigging with a pristine instrument like this. I’m going to use my old G&L and a P bass that I built for myself, both of which sport war wounds and genuine road wear.
      Hopefully the photos will give a good indication of the condition. Anything that looks like a blemish or damage to the body finish, is purely down to my photography.

Price is £950.
      I’m in Hoddesdon, Herts. Would really prefer collection but we can discuss shipping if necessary.  

• By Alberto Rigoni
      Mint. No trades 
      Nash PB-63 bass is a lightweight version of the classic design with great playability and sustain. Neck style is reminiscent of 1970's Precisions with block inlays and binding. This bass weighs 3,79 kg.
      Glenn Hughes on Nash basses: "The one I’m playing now is a Bill Nash replica. My friend Bill Nash from Washington state, he’s amazing. I own a lot of old Fenders, which I don’t take on the road, and I wanted something that could replicate the old ones. I had tried many different replica-type basses, all distressed and road-worn variations. Bill had sent Joe Bonamassa a really messed-up looking Tele, the same Tele that was designed after Eric Clapton’s Hyde Park Blind Faith Tele -- the one with a Strat neck. I played this amazing Tele, which Joe played on the first Black Country Communion album on a song called “Beggarman.” I said, “Oh my god, I wonder if a Bill Nash bass would sound and look this good." Bill sent me a bass -- the red one you see me playing in the videos and the new Black Country Communion DVD. It’s a ’57 replica, a relic. It’s just insane. I’ve got some old P basses and Jazz basses, and you can’t really tell the difference."
      Model: PB-63 with 78 neck
      Body: Ash
      Color: 3-Tone Sunburst
      Fretboard: Maple
      Neck Profile: C
      Radius: 10"
      Nut: Graphtech Tusq, width 41 mm
      Pickups: Lollar Vintage P Bass
      Gotoh tuners
      Electronics: CTS potentiometers, Sprague Orange Drop capacitors.
      Aging Level: Light
      Pickguard: 3-ply Black
      Fretboard with black binding and black block inlays
      Lacquer: 100% nitrocellulose
      20 frets, 6105
      Weight: 3,79 kg
      Gig bag included
      Made in USA

• By greghagger
      If you understand the Circle Of 5ths, you learn one of the most important concepts in music theory. 
      This circle gives you information about keys, key signatures, major & relative minors, intervals, chord sequences, enharmonics, and much more. 
      Video lesson and free PDF download. 

• By lowpainter
      This bass is withdrawn from sale  ( bad timing to sell )
      For sale a Xotic P bass. Now 1475  BP !
      Excellent condition. (9.5/10) From 2015.
      Superior craftmanship.
      Maple/rosewood neck. Alder body.
      Active/passive on volume push/pull. Threeband 18 v. preamp. High/mid/low. two switches for change of freq. of mid and high.Passive high rolloff.
      Hipshot tuners.
      Tort scratch plate.
      Wooden pickup covers, with thumbrest.
      Hipshot DeTuner.
      Luminlay dots on fingerboard and side ( with small torchlight to let them glow in the dark ! )
      Neck 4,2 cm at nut.
      Neck and frets 100%
      No issues just some light swirl on the scratchplate.
      Incl. gigbag in good condition.
      Weight about 4,2 kg. Very good balance.
      Powerfull sounding bass and you can do a lot with the preamp and the passive rolloff.
      Posting costs are for the buyer.