Why become a member? ×

Spray Gun and Compressor

yorks5stringer

A little bit of advice please?

Thinking of doing a bit of spraying some necks and bodies some time in the future. What type of compressor and gun do people use?

Or should I just buy aerosols: at what point does it becaome cheaper to use the proper gear?

Does the compressor and gun need to have a minimum "delivery" for quality work?

Would something like this do the job?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/S-I-P-HOBBYAIR-210-COMPRESSOR-c-w-Spray-Gun-And-Hose_W0QQitemZ370116960615QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors?hash=item370116960615&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/S-I-P-HOBBYAIR-210-C...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

Thanks!

Edited by yorks5stringer

In a word Yes !

Its not the cost that is the issue really. If you look after the kit it will give you years of use and be much easier and nicer to use with more consistent results. The main advantage is that you can thin out your finishing coats with say 20% paint and 80% thinners as this gives much smoother results as the thiners will "melt" the previous coat.
Unlike spray cans though it takes a lot more looking after and you will need lots of thiners (buy it by the gallon / 5 liters) to keep the gun and nozzle clean. You can have custom colors mixed which is a bonus and if you prefer not to use nitro there are some good acrylic paints.
You also need stuff like disposable filters to strain the paint and not forgetting a really good breathing mask. The main problem with spraying is where you do it and you will need a dedicated "clean" area. Cutting down on dust will save you hours of T-cutting later.
As long as the delivery CFM is a good 30% higher than the gun capacity you should not have any problems. Bass bodies don't have a large surface compared to say a car so you don't need a huge compressor and the one in the ad looks just the ticket.
They are also handy for spraying emulsion when you are decorating
I used to restore and customize cars as a hobby so if you need any pointers just ask.

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Prosebass' post='391278' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:50 PM']In a word Yes !

Its not the cost that is the issue really. If you look after the kit it will give you years of use and be much easier and nicer to use with more consistent results. The main advantage is that you can thin out your finishing coats with say 20% paint and 80% thinners as this gives much smoother results as the thiners will "melt" the previous coat.
Unlike spray cans though it takes a lot more looking after and you will need lots of thiners (buy it by the gallon / 5 liters) to keep the gun and nozzle clean. You can have custom colors mixed which is a bonus and if you prefer not to use nitro there are some good acrylic paints.
You also need stuff like disposable filters to strain the paint and not forgetting a really good breathing mask. The main problem with spraying is where you do it and you will need a dedicated "clean" area. Cutting down on dust will save you hours of T-cutting later.
As long as the delivery CFM is a good 30% higher than the gun capacity you should not have any problems. Bass bodies don't have a large surface compared to say a car so you don't need a huge compressor and the one in the ad looks just the ticket.
They are also handy for spraying emulsion when you are decorating
I used to restore and customize cars as a hobby so if you need any pointers just ask.[/quote]

Cheers, that's brilliant info: if you make the Yorkshire BB we'll need to have a long chat.......!

I'll quickly drop a little question into the works.

How loud is that compressor?

One of my brothers bought one for use in spray painting models (generally 1:72, but occasional 1:48, generally WWII era stuff), for use inside as a which was for a "hobby" sprayist.
The thing is FAR too loud to use inside, it's deafening, even outside it's very loud. I think it's been used once or twice before he went back to using compressed air in cans. It was only a cheapy, iirc it wasn't above £150, possibly under £100, but bit of an eye opener.

I'd bear that in mind if you're planning indoor jobbies.