Why become a member? ×

The Weezer/Matt Sharp sound

Dave Dubya

I am now bass-less, having sold my old and somewhat unsatisfying Squier PJ. I'm looking to get a new bass, something that emulates that Weezer bass sound from their Blue album and Pinkerton.

I know Matt Sharp used a gutted Fender Jazz body, modified with a Warmouth neck and custom pickups. (This is isn't route I want to go at the moment!)

I've read from various sources that the following, used with a fuzz pedal, might tend toward a similar sound:

- Epiphone EB-0
- Thunderbird (although I'm concerned by their weight)
- Stingray (Sharp used one towards the end of his time in the band, but a Musicman is out of my price range and the OLP range seem to have dried up)
- A Jazz bass
- Squier VM Tele bass

Any input you guys have on what those would sound like, and if they'd get someone near to what I'm after, would be greatly appreciated.

Obviously I'll be making some music shop visits to try some, but not being too knowledgeable I'd like to go prepared!

Thanks.

Edited by Dave Dubya

doesnt the weezer guy use a telebass?

EDIT: just realised weezer have had 3 bass players, so maybe matt sharp didnt use a telebass, it could be another one of their bass players that uses a telebass

Edited by LWTAIT

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='391169' date='Jan 25 2009, 08:12 PM']doesnt the weezer guy use a telebass?

EDIT: just realised weezer have had 3 bass players, so maybe matt sharp didnt use a telebass, it could be another one of their bass players that uses a telebass[/quote]
Matt Sharp's look like Telebass', but aren't:

Their second player, Mikey Welsh, used Gibson Grabber/Ripper.

The current player, Scott Shriner, uses 60s Precisions.

As the resident Weezerholic on the boards, I shall assist! I've had Precisions, Jazzes, PJ's and now a Gibson G-3. Of all, the jazz nails matt sharp tone. I keep all controls on full, or maybe roll back on the bridge pup a little. Most of Matt's tone came from his ornage matamp head (quite dirty sounding) and (on Pinkerton) he used a green sovtek muff, for things like tired of sex.

As it happens, I'm contemplating a Jazz body with a warmoth neck like Matts. Yeh...I'm sad ;)

I'll also say that if you're using your 'boss overdive' pedal, you won't get that muff sound. I've had (then sold, then rebought) an original green sovtek muff, but I've also used a bass big muff and this cops the tone pretty well. As it happens, I'm selling mine right now (hint!), but it's good for tired of sex/el scorcho/getchoo type mayhem!

[quote name='umcoo' post='391256' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:27 PM']As the resident Weezerholic on the boards, I shall assist! I've had Precisions, Jazzes, PJ's and now a Gibson G-3. Of all, the jazz nails matt sharp tone. I keep all controls on full, or maybe roll back on the bridge pup a little. Most of Matt's tone came from his ornage matamp head (quite dirty sounding) and (on Pinkerton) he used a green sovtek muff, for things like tired of sex.[/quote]
Might as well just opt for a VM Jazz then. Cheers for the input.

[quote]As it happens, I'm contemplating a Jazz body with a warmoth neck like Matts. Yeh...I'm sad ;)[/quote]
I too was comtemplating it, but a bit unsure and indecisive...

[quote name='umcoo' post='391266' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:33 PM']I'll also say that if you're using your 'boss overdive' pedal, you won't get that muff sound. I've had (then sold, then rebought) an original green sovtek muff, but I've also used a bass big muff and this cops the tone pretty well. As it happens, I'm selling mine right now (hint!), but it's good for tired of sex/el scorcho/getchoo type mayhem![/quote]
PM'ed you regarding the Sovtek.

He had great tone and some sweet lines, especially on Pinkerton. I think I remember reading that the pickups he used were made by Schecter and the neck was a Jazz profile with a tele style headstock?

I pretty rapidly lost interest after he left the band!

[quote name='Dave Dubya' post='391178' date='Jan 25 2009, 08:18 PM']Matt Sharp's look like Telebass', but aren't:

Their second player, Mikey Welsh, used Gibson Grabber/Ripper.

The current player, Scott Shriner, uses 60s Precisions.[/quote]

noo... i was thinking of these-

dunno who the bass players were for these videos, but hes defintaly using a 50's precision/50's reissue/telebass

In Pork 'n Beans the bass appears to be a '51 type telebass on the outdoor shots, and a normal P-Bass inside (tort scratch), and Buddy Holly has a '51 type.

Not that it makes much difference as the video has no correlation to the actual basses used in the recording.

Nice bit of crunch on the bass side though.

[quote name='Buzz' post='392105' date='Jan 26 2009, 08:42 PM']In Pork 'n Beans the bass appears to be a '51 type telebass on the outdoor shots, and a normal P-Bass inside (tort scratch), and Buddy Holly has a '51 type.

Not that it makes much difference as the video has no correlation to the actual basses used in the recording.

Nice bit of crunch on the bass side though.[/quote]

yeah, im just saying thats where i got the idea that he used a telebass from.