Why become a member? ×

Sample Player Pedal(s)?

Eight

A friend of mine was just asking if I know of any unit that can play audio samples out and has footswitch triggers? Kinda like a row of switches that trigger a different sound sample - and some kind of bank switch thingy to move to another set of samples.

I know how he could do it using a laptop, audio interface and midi controllers, but was wondering if anyone has ever seen something similar in a portable unit?

Apologies for not hitting this thread recently.

I did work out one option which I think would be cool - an Akai MPC and a set of midi foot pedals would probably do the job nicely. You can certainly trigger the pads via midi input; but I'm still a little unsure on the bank switching.

So probably very similar to what you're thinking there Dr.

(Jammen - ;))

[quote name='crez5150' post='392513' date='Jan 27 2009, 10:48 AM']I used to fire an Akai s5000 from a midi foot controller.... worked very well[/quote]
Were you able to change sample banks remotely?

I looked at a Roland SP-404 Sampler on Dr. Funk's suggestion and it seemed perfect except for one issue.

It has 10 sample banks (each one holding 12 samples) and samples can be triggered from MIDI IN. Different octaves etc. trigger samples on different banks - which sounds great; except if you wanted more than 12 different samples in a song, then you need some kind of controller which can send the full range of pitches. I'm not sure if there is a foot controller capable of doing that in a handsfree fashion.

Wish I hadn't got involved now - my head hurts. ;)

[quote name='Eight' post='392536' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:08 AM']Were you able to change sample banks remotely?

I looked at a Roland SP-404 Sampler on Dr. Funk's suggestion and it seemed perfect except for one issue.

It has 10 sample banks (each one holding 12 samples) and samples can be triggered from MIDI IN. Different octaves etc. trigger samples on different banks - which sounds great; except if you wanted more than 12 different samples in a song, then you need some kind of controller which can send the full range of pitches. I'm not sure if there is a foot controller capable of doing that in a handsfree fashion.

Wish I hadn't got involved now - my head hurts. ;)[/quote]

Hmm hadn't thought of that, I don't really know enough about any specific midi controllers to know whether or not they can do that.

How many samples do you need? Might be worth looking at one of the old Korg electribes I think its the ES model either mkI or II they go quite cheaply on ebay and might do what your after although I am not sure. Also worth noting there are quite a few models (older ones) in the SP range which may be setup differently.

[quote name='dr.funk' post='395975' date='Jan 31 2009, 09:57 AM']How many samples do you need?[/quote]
I don't know really. It was kind of an industrial project - so quite a few. I helped him set up a pc with Sonar etc. for them to work out tracks but now they're wondering how to do the thing live without adding a synth-type guy to the group.

I'll check out the other suggestions you've given there; but from everything I've seen it looks like the hardware units just might not do the job. In which case its back to my original thoughts of a laptop, Ableton and some midi foot controls.

Thanks for your input though - you've managed to give *me* GAS ;)

Edited by Eight