Why become a member? ×

Blowtorch or DHA VT1 EQ Bass Drive Custom

sshorepunk

Want myself an overdrive distorion, don't do the full on fuzzy mess thing, had a blowtorch before and liked its smooth, almost synth like sound, but theres a DHA VT1 EQ Bass Drive Custom for sale down in the effects section, could that be an alternative, never heard one, hoping one of you guys will help me here

T

[quote name='Kev' post='389138' date='Jan 22 2009, 11:21 PM']The dha IMO is best for adding a low gain valve dirt tone to your bass, and it does it very, very well.[/quote]

I only had the VT1-Std-Bass, but this definitely fits the description of when I used it with my Thunderbird. Not a bad pedal for passive basses.

Didn't do anything for me with my active Spector though, even after much tweaking. Yes it was a later VT1 with the I/P pad, before anyone asks.

i've never heard that much of the DHA stuff, but I agree with Kev that they are completely different, IMO the Blowtorch does synthy fuzz better than most, but i doubt you could get a tubey tone out of it (regardless what the manual says) you can get more conventional fuzz sounds of it, but for me thats wasting what the pedal really excels at. I could easily justify having both on my board (if i didnt have a VTbass or a Green Stache muff clone)

[quote name='redzombie' post='390179' date='Jan 24 2009, 06:01 AM']I only had the VT1-Std-Bass, but this definitely fits the description of when I used it with my Thunderbird. Not a bad pedal for passive basses.

Didn't do anything for me with my active Spector though, even after much tweaking. Yes it was a later VT1 with the I/P pad, before anyone asks.[/quote]

+1! Used it (DHA) with my Spector Legend 5 and it just didn't sound right. Tried it with a friends Jazz bass and it sounded oh so sweet!

[quote name='Dosi Y'Anarchy' post='392774' date='Jan 27 2009, 02:48 PM']IMO the Blowtorch does synthy fuzz better than most, but i doubt you could get a tubey tone out of it (regardless what the manual says) you can get more conventional fuzz sounds of it, but for me thats wasting what the pedal really excels at.[/quote]

I won one of these from Bass Player magazine and I have to agree. Even prefer it to my Big Muff for fuzz. But for overdrive it's not a patch on my Fulltone BassDrive (have they gone out of fashion, I'm so not up to date on the world of effects...)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='393888' date='Jan 28 2009, 06:03 PM']I won one of these from Bass Player magazine and I have to agree. Even prefer it to my Big Muff for fuzz. But for overdrive it's not a patch on my Fulltone BassDrive (have they gone out of fashion, I'm so not up to date on the world of effects...)

Alex[/quote]

LOL i think the Bassdrives have gone out of fashion, but i dont know why, when I joined TalkBass in 2007, that was the pedal everyone either wanted or already had.

by the way, if anyone does want a Blowtorch, dont pay over £100 for one, they can be found cheaper. I say this because the Bass Centre in Denmark Street, London was selling one for £160, and if I hadnt got my current one for like £55 (used) I might have been fooled into paying that.

I cant recommend the tone of the DHA highly pedal enough... Its simply beautiful and extremely versatile!

Unfortunately mine has had a dodgy bit of wiring somewhere and Dave has had to fix it up for me a couple of times. I dont mention this because I think this might be a common fault (the pedal is built like a tank and I've not heard of anyone else with reliability problems) but simply because after getting used to using it, whenever i've had to return it, it felt like hacking my arm off!

Dave is now going to replace the entire innards of the pedal for me to make sure it's fixed this time. Cant ask for better customer service than that really can you! :-)

[quote name='Toasted' post='404150' date='Feb 9 2009, 11:42 AM']I've always been impressed with the quality of the DHA pedals I have had.[/quote]