Why become a member? ×

modes of the MINOR scale...

spiltmilk_2000

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='383640' date='Jan 17 2009, 11:19 PM']Slightly off topic I know but anyone recommmend some Klezmer to listen too - both of traditional and more contemporary varieties?[/quote]

I'm only just getting into it properly now, and my experiences of Klezmer CDs have been pretty hit or miss. This looks like a decent list with some names I recognise....
[url="http://www.klezmershack.com/archives/007030.html"]http://www.klezmershack.com/archives/007030.html[/url]

[quote name='dlloyd' post='383678' date='Jan 18 2009, 12:35 AM']I'm only just getting into it properly now, and my experiences of Klezmer CDs have been pretty hit or miss. This looks like a decent list with some names I recognise....
[url="http://www.klezmershack.com/archives/007030.html"]http://www.klezmershack.com/archives/007030.html[/url][/quote]

Thanks dll.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' post='382189' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:51 PM']OK, so with all the discussion of modes, it's got me thinking about minor scales and their relative modes and i realised I'm unclear how these work! :)

In the major scale i understand that by harmonising the notes of the major scale you end up with the following pattern (example in key of C):

Cmaj7, Dm, Em, F, G7, Am, Bhalfdim, C

I know each of the modes that relate to each interval of the scale but how does it work in a minor key? What pattern of major / minor chords does it create and what extensions are there for each (ie. maj/minor 6ths or 7ths etc) How is it affected if we harmonise the melodic or harmonic minor scales instead of the natural minor??

I have a feeling responses are going to be pretty complicated! :rolleyes:

Any help, in idiot proof terms where possible, greatly appreciated!
:D[/quote]

Check out John Scofield lesson on You Tube for all you'll ever need to know about using modes!

[quote name='Mikey D' post='383122' date='Jan 17 2009, 01:12 PM']As bilbo said, just with a few things I found useful. Obviously we tend to use the ascending form of the melodic minor. When applying to jazz (and other music obviously) you can get a lot of value from learning the melodic minor harmonies, especially when used on the dominant.

Cmin/maj7 (can be applied in IImi in Bbmaj and Cm when it occurs as a tonic)
D7susb9 (Ami7b5natural9/D)(Apply as a sound in V7 situations)
EbMaj7#4#5 (apply in tonic and sub dominant situations)
F7#11 (apply to V7 and IV7 situations or when F7 is a tonic such as in a blues)
G7 b6 (apply to V7 situations)
Ami7b5 (apply in minor cadences)
Bmi7b5 or V7 alt (b9#9ª11b13) (altered)

Therefore the mode generates 4 dominant (V7) sounds
V7 sus b9
V7#11
V7 b6
V7 alt

So over G7 you can use:
F melodic minor which generates G7 sus b9
C melodic minor which generates G7 b6
D melodic minor which generates G7#11
Ab melodic minor which generates G7 alt[/quote]

I know where you're coming from but most musicians would have to be extremely careful about using F melodic minor, and especially C melodic minor, over a G7 chord. In most of the music I've come across a susb9 chord is a reharmonisation, meaning that the other musicians in the band have to be hip to it or it'll sound like a mess.

The problem (in jazz at least) is that most players like to mess with the straight V7 chord and one of the first tones to go is the 5th as it is not needed to spell a G7 chord. The C melodic minor scale has both major 9th, perfect 4th and perfect 5th in G (A, C and D), which don't sound that great when you play the b13 (Eb) over a G7. The b13 is most commonly sounded with the altered scale (which moves the problem 4th and 5th tones up a half step). If I think of any C scale over a V7-1m then it would probably be C harmonic minor as it at least has the b9 and #9. All of this is of course a matter of interpretation as every scale mentioned has been used by somebody at some point!