Why become a member? ×

MarkBass 15" Advice needed

Moody

I have a MarkBass CMD102P and I'm wanting to put a 1x15" cab to go underneath it. So basically my question is, which 15" should I get? I'd prefer to keep the entire rig MarkBass, so that (as far as I can tell) means it'll either be a Traveller 151P or the Standard 151HR.

From what I can tell, basically the 151P is lighter and cheaper. I've no experience of either, so any advice would be most welcome!

Also, is there is another option, i.e using a non-MarkBass cab?

I have your same combo and it couldnt handle the low B string at the volumes we usually play, so I recently bought a second hand 151HF. The reason for choosing this particular model (now discontinued, unfortunately) was based on reports claiming it was the Markbass cabinet with more low end frequencies, wich makes sense since it is their biggest 15" cab. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the results. The combo alone was pretty loud but with this extension cabinet the volume is insane and I love to feel my trousers flapping.

So, not only I didnt help you choose, now I gave you another model to think about, heh! Im sure you can find a 151HF in the second hand market or maybe even an old stock one. Good luck!

[quote name='Moody' post='382134' date='Jan 16 2009, 11:00 AM']Also, is there is another option, i.e using a non-MarkBass cab?[/quote]

Apart from cosmetics there are no reasons to stick with one brand of gear for your amplification. Use whatever does the job best! Also bear in mind that if you're stacking the cabs you can turn the 2x10" or the 1x15" on their sides to get the look/sound you want (though having the 2x10" with the drivers vertically will get you a better sound around the room in 99% of situations).

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='382340' date='Jan 16 2009, 01:23 PM']Apart from cosmetics there are no reasons to stick with one brand of gear for your amplification.[/quote]

I am that shallow to be fair... ;) :P Although my wallet might say otherwise... Also, I'll defo try stacking it on it's side, although it will look odd (cosmetics again!!)

Many thanks for the heads up Yorks, I wondered why a lot of the ads for the 151 were stating the post 2007 model.

Fracktal, 151 eh? hmmmm... I'll have a look into that!

Cheers for the help guys!

The last gig I did with my acoustic band I put the 102 on it's side & it sounded really good (my reason for putting it on it's side was to use as a table for a penny whistle to sit on for my mandolinist as we did the gig sitting on bar stools). None of the audience really noticed that it was sideways but I did have a few compliments on how it sounded by other musicians.

[quote name='Moody' post='382419' date='Jan 16 2009, 03:22 PM']Fracktal, 151 eh? hmmmm... I'll have a look into that![/quote]

This one ;)

[url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=2&vedi=32"]151 HF[/url]

By the way, barefacedbass.com cabs have very good reviews (VERY light and VERY loud) and much cheaper than markbass, in case you dont need to match brands. This one would do the job perfectly, going for 375 only:

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/thecompact.html"]BarefacedBass.com The Compact[/url]

Cheers!

Edited by Fraktal

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='382307' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:56 PM']Careful if you get a Traveller 115P as there are 2 models, mine is an early one that is not as wide as your cab, later ones from summer 07 onwards are wider so they match each others width.[/quote]

It is however a perfect fit under my Jeff Berlin combo and even locks into the corner supports

2 x 15 trouser flapping fun awaits

Cheers Mate