Why become a member? ×

Latin bass: Anthony Jackson

guitrax

The first time I saw Anthony Jakson was few years ago with Michel Camilo. I learned this song (From within) by ear and I post my video in youtube. I hope this video help people to learn this awesome song.
Here is the link:
[url="http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=eUj-JKdU_UE"]http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=eUj-JKdU_UE[/url]

Nice playing there, excellent !.

I'm a huge fan of AJ, unfortunately I feel he's quite wrongly got a reputation for being aloof or arrogant, he's neither of these at all, he's just a fantastic musician who knows what he wants to do, and what path he wants to follow.

I had the privelige of seeing him play at a clinic a couple of years ago, and spoke to him briefly afterwards, just long enough to say hello.

Awesome playing man, and fantastic choice of track! It's the track that really turned me onto Anthony's playing.

No way to say this without soudning like a massive tool, but is there any chance you have the dots for this? I would try and work it out by ear, but I'm desparate to learn it and my ear is pretty poor.

Is your transcription notes only or have you worked out the harmonies as well?

Transcribing the notes a bass player plays only has limited value unless you are able to put it together with the composition's harmonic structure. I once transcribed Jeff Berlin's 'Bach ' solo off 'Pump It' but I didn't work out the harmony. I have always thought of that as a wasted opportunity on my part (I lost the transcription a long time ago and don't really want to do it again; you live & learn!)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='384703' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:31 AM']Is your transcription notes only or have you worked out the harmonies as well?

Transcribing the notes a bass player plays only has limited value unless you are able to put it together with the composition's harmonic structure. I once transcribed Jeff Berlin's 'Bach ' solo off 'Pump It' but I didn't work out the harmony. I have always thought of that as a wasted opportunity on my part (I lost the transcription a long time ago and don't really want to do it again; you live & learn!)[/quote]
I try to learn the harmonics and the technics when I transcribe a song.
I make the video to learn and to help people that was trying to transcribe it.
And you are right the most important thing is to understand the harmonics.