Why become a member? ×

Malekko B:assmaster - would someone lend me one?

Toasted

To those of you with a Malekko B:assmaster - would someone lend me one? I'd be happy for you to borrow either my Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, or a Big Muff Clone whislt I was borrowing your assmaster.

The reason I ask is that I don't like the sound.... BUT everyone tells me it sounds killer with a band, so I need to try it at my next rehersal.

Of course the "temporary trade" would be on a "you break it you buy it" basis, both ways ;)

Thanks, Joe.

[quote name='Toasted' post='382166' date='Jan 16 2009, 11:24 AM']Band practices are every Sunday, so ideally it'd arrive with me Friday and I'd post it back Monday. I'd be happy to pay for RMSD both ways, especially if the Deep Blue Delay or Muff Clone wasn't of interest.[/quote]

Hi Toasted,

Would be interested to hear your views on this pedal when you try it out.
I built a clone & love it - best bass fuzz I've ever tried, but there again it's all subjective.

Cheers
Nick

I will definitely give a report when I've tried it with my band.

I've got a big muff which sounds great solo'd, but I feel gets lost in the mix under two Les Paul / 80's Marshall JCM800 combos, so I'm looking for something more rough around the edges to cut through.

I haven't that much experience with fuzz pedals having previously only tried out the Pickle Pie (which I didn't like) but I find the Assmaster quite tweakable. You should be able to find a setting in there which will cut through the band mix. Mine does, effortlessly, but then, I only have one guitarist in my band to compete with and my amp is bigger than his ;)

We all like different tones and fair enough but the sound of the Assmaster totally blew me away - Toasted, what was it about the sound of this pedal that you didn't like?

i loved my Silicon b:assmaster, but the germanium sounded quite ordinary to me. The silicon was great for that 'feel good hit of the summer' sound, but I sort of discovered that it was pointless having both a silicon B:assmaster and a MXR Bass blowtorch, as they're both very mid-rangey and both can be quite synthy, so i sold the B:assmaster and kept the blowtorch (the only pedal that has remained on my board over the past 2 years).

both pedals cut through the mix amazingly, i found the B:assmaster solo'd sounded scary-loud compared to when it was in a mix - however mine may have been a one off as i sent mine to Josh (from Malekko) with a defective switch and he told me the entire pedal was faulty and that it was one of the worst sounding B:assmasters he'd heard- i thought it sounded awesome though.

If i had a b:assmaster to lend, id lend it. I do have a blowtorch im willing to lend if you fancy it? however might have to wait a few weeks as im recording the next couple of sundays

[quote name='Toasted' post='397799' date='Feb 2 2009, 01:02 PM']It sounds good, I liked the character of the distortion a lot. It definiely stands out. I found it hard to [i]not[/i] get a massive jump in volume when the pedal was engaged, which was something I didn't like.[/quote]

That is the same thing that i found to get it almost unity gain i had to leave all of the controls below 12 o'clock, currently running it with Ass @ 9 o'clock Bass @ 10-11 o'clock and sensitivity at 9-10. it is a great sounding fuzz but its crazy loud.

[quote name='Toasted' post='397799' date='Feb 2 2009, 01:02 PM'].....I found it hard to [i]not[/i] get a massive jump in volume when the pedal was engaged, which was something I didn't like.[/quote]

It does leap out a bit!
I back off the volume just a tad, & sometimes the tone on my bass when I fire it up - find it tames the beast enough! ;)