Why become a member? ×

Looking for a particular sound

Hector

Hey guys, recently I've been listening to alot of synthy stuff and wanted to get a nice bass tone to emulate that sort of thing. Sort of stuff might be MGMT, Justice, Kraftwerk and stuff like that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sort of tone I'm going for:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IZnGVKXBwFk"]This.[/url]

Any thoughts on getting a similar tone would be much appreciated.

A synth?

;)

Really, you are better off with a cheap synth (an Alesis Micron, a Novation Xiosynth, etc.) than with an expensive bass synth pedal which will work worse anyway :P

Anyway, listening to the video, I think you could achieve "that" kind of tone with a Jazz and a blended fuzz on low gain settings. I have never had the chance to try it, but you could have a look at the Bass Big Muff. I imagine that, on low sustain settings, high tone settings, and only a hint of fuzz in the dry/wet blend, it will give you what you're looking for.

But most synth sounds are better played on a real synth.

Edited by Boneless

Been looking to get unfamiliar bass sounds from my bass too (I do like my bass sound but some songs would suit synth type sounds).
Anyway, have a look at the EHX Bass micro synth, the Digitech synth wah, or go down the slow path of building a kit to get your sound like I'm going for.

Go to the review section & hear the moogerfoogers, might be your thing, might not, free to hear & find out.

[quote name='Hector' post='377686' date='Jan 12 2009, 01:46 PM']Hey guys, recently I've been listening to alot of synthy stuff and wanted to get a nice bass tone to emulate that sort of thing. Sort of stuff might be MGMT, Justice, Kraftwerk and stuff like that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sort of tone I'm going for:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IZnGVKXBwFk"]This.[/url]

Any thoughts on getting a similar tone would be much appreciated.[/quote]

A bass player from Faversham, you in a band mate?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='377811' date='Jan 12 2009, 03:32 PM']A bass player from Faversham, you in a band mate?[/quote]

Hiya! I'm from Faversham, but most of my time is spent Oxford. I was in an originals band, and we were getting some good music out, but we all went to our separate Unis. I've started up a new group that's Oxford based instead, but might get something together when I'm back in March. Used to play in various function bands and I did some studio sessions down at a place in Dover and I really miss playing with a group. We should get together sometime if you're up for it, is your band playing much over Easter?

Thanks for the help guys. As far a synths are concerned, I'm now [i]absolutely convinced[/i] that I can't live without an Alesis Micron. Damn. Now I know what to ask the parentals for my birthday soon! Been on this forum for less than a month and my GAS levels are off the charts. I've already bought a bass and I intend to buy a synth now. ;)

Get a second hand novation k station they are cheap as chips but sound great,to get a deep synth bass you just need to switch the wave pattern to sine and turn the cutoff knob on the filter back till you get the desired tone.You will not be able to replicate this as well on a bass guitar,the frequency will start to muddy.

I bought one of those new Behringer Bass Synth pedals over Xmas. (BSY600?)

Cost £36

That may cure your urges......

You can make synth bass noises, or set a synth bass drone and play normally over the single note you set.

How useful is that? And It won't put you massively out of pocket if you don't like it.

Also got a good review in the last BGM magazine.

Edited by Leowasright