Why become a member? ×

Gene Simmon's Charlie LoBue Bass

noirpunk

Anyone got an idea of where I can get some good detailed shots of it?

There's quite a long thread about it and here: SIMMONS.

The bass either ended up with Micki Free (who was in a band called Crown Of Thorns with sometime Kiss collaborator Jean Beauvoir), or it was stolen, or it got broken and rendered useless when it was dropped by a butter-fingered roadie.

There's a new Lobue fansite up too: Lobue Site

P

There is some interesting snippets on Charlie Lobue on the [url="http://www.embamba.com/board/"]Alphonso Johnson Website[/url]
He played a Lobue bass on Herandnu (Weather Report Black Market) killer tone , check out the overdriven sound at 3 minutes 12 secs.
I have been looking for info for years but on the album credits they spell his name as La Boe.....

It's a distinct possibility, It's a really nice looking bass but I've only ever seen it at odd angles haha

Well if you do.... be careful...

The 24 fret neck stands right out from the body and neck dive/strings flattening out could be a major problem.... ;)

• 8 months later...

Anyone got an idea of where I can get some good detailed shots of it?

Not many closeups exist since by 76 Gene was very picky with photography, video anything that could become intelectual property. To add the sets at the time were very dark, Any film speed & lens you could put in a small sneak in camera was horrible.

But I have some !
I was at the BBQ, Fireworks and opening of the Destroyer tour in 1976 at Roosevelt Stadium in the pit with a 35 mm camera.
I have a shoebox of B&W negitives of the whole show.
Bob Segar, Point Blank (awsome band BTW) and J. Giles (the last support act to preceed KISS) .
Peter Wolf with his Bass player in a pink zoot suite were getting pounded by paper orange juice containers that filled the air darkening the spotlights at one point. They had to end early to prevent a riot (it was still near 100 degrees at 9PM)
I will try an upload some photos.

At the time: (I think it was July 96 just after July 4th)
The LoBue Bass was contoured and had a pickguard
An old tailpiece appeared to be removed and replaced with a single Gibson T-Bird tail/bridge combo. The body was sealed quite sloppy, grain and marks and "ghost" of it showed through the finish. The finish looked almost brushed on and sanded like old custom furniture
The pickup was reworked Gibsons by Larry DiMarzio according to Gene. The last 3rd knob was a rotary DPTD that threw the coil bobbins in series/parallel.
Ace was also playing some kind of copy Explorer, it was slightly smaller, narrow fingerboard and was lightweight...like the Bass.
-Joe L

I just want to add the 2nd rebuild incarnation of that LoBue Bass in BLACK with the Ebony fingerboard, tailpiece, thin acoustic guitar like bridge and P Bass Pickups was pretty spectactular. Its almost identical to the "Onion shape" and configuration Gene sells today.
The full high res shot by John Rockwood at that time can be previewed and baught here http://www.backstagegallery.com/photodetai...R-0562-013.html
That Bass was used to record "ALIVE" (actually recorded in Ohio at Allen theatre in 1975)
It was likey used on Destroyer (my guess) before it was modified a 3rd time and 4th time.

Humbucker added, butt and Tailpiece lopped off ADD 1 piece T-Bird Tail/bridge and metal palm rest added summer 76 for the Destroyer tour (when I saw it). These mods must have surly messed the balance up even more since Gene already had to slightly balance it in this older photo --and thats WITH the strap by the neck joint !

In my opinion -The late 76 3rd incarnation must have neck dived like those nasty BC Rich Mockingbird Basses, it must have been modified over 6 times and a real mess by 1978.
Perhaps thats why Gene didnt seem miss or give a hoot it when it "disappeared" --he was also very $$ rich by then !
I never seen him actually use all those protypes Gibson Basses and marketing hoopla live --just photo ops and lunchboxes

• 8 years later...
On 26/11/2017 at 01:04, Raeman said:

This is only decent pic I can find of lobue bass I'm lookin for. 

_20171123_222009.JPG

That's a copy someone in the States made.

By the way - I found out directly from Micki Free that Gene gave the Lobue to him as a present in late '77 and it was subsequently stolen from the truck of his car, much to his shock and embarrassment....

Here's some great pics of the original: http://axeology.com/LoBue.html