Why become a member? ×

Advice needed

hatori

Having recently aquired Nash's Marshall JCM 800 lead series amp (which is lush) I now have to turn my attention to an old Marshall straight front 4x12 that was generously given to me. Unfortunately the speakers are knackered so I shall need new ones. Im looking at probably 300 watts at 4ohms overall but have no real in depth knowledge regarding what I should be looking at regarding sensitivity. So Im open to suggestions. Can you help?

[quote name='chris_b' post='376891' date='Jan 11 2009, 04:38 PM']Could you get the speakers reconed? Or call Marshall to find out what the replacements should be?[/quote]

Marshall are very tight with some info. I foned them up a while back when I was trying to fix up an old 4x12 I had lying around. They wanted the serial number for the cab and everything. If you have that then it shouldnt be a problem.

Your best bet would be to remove the back and get all the specs from the cones already fitted. They should have labels stuck to the magnets on the back.

There are two G12 greenbacks at 25w each and two no brand. All are 16 ohm. Cab wired 16ohm at 100watts. Apparently no brands are knackered, G12s look new. I have a feeling the no brands would last a couple of days at most before dying. As I said before when it comes to getting the best out of the head I need something with a bit of sensitivity.Putting four Eminence delta 12lfs in would be like overkill. I cant find any info on speakers used in the early Marshall bass cabs.

This might not help at all have but you thought about the BL range from celestion.Ive retro fitted 10's into a Hartke tp 410 cab with very good results,the tone is a lot more vintage than its counterpart,my other TP with alli cones.I have two friends who've also fitted the BL range into their cabs with good results,a pair of tens went into an SWR redhead,it sounds great and Nick Carey,a well respected guy of this forum has fitted BL12's into his two 12" cabs,again with very good results.
They might be worth considering if you cant find the ones you're looking for. ;)

For a cheap, loud, if clean-toned solution, have a look at eminences.

Other than that, the trad approach is celestions. If you're going to be using it for both guitar and bass, you might want to look at four x G75t12, which would give you 300w. The celestion site's got lots of info IIRC.