Why become a member? ×

Level Meter to become Law?????

BassBunny

[quote name='tauzero' post='392963' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:42 PM']I signed both the noise level and the arms embargo petitions.

While the noise level petition is not very soundly based, noise level meters are coming into more and more venues. Anyone acquainted with the history of motorcycle regulation, specifically the helmet law and the noise level restrictions, will realise that prevalence of noise meters may well lead to their becoming mandatory, and that prosecution of offenders takes second place to tightening the restrictions so that the obedient majority are penalised by the disobedient minority.[/quote]

Indeed so. ;)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='393490' date='Jan 28 2009, 10:30 AM']Ok, I admit, not random mixing. But running dissimilar drivers fullrange for a certain sound, like the Midget on top of the Big Sub for an insanely loud angry growly rock tone with massive clean bottom.

Alex[/quote]
I thought it was highly unlikely you would be random mixing - but thats what a lot do and what I frequently get flamed for warning against. Perhaps we should start 2 petitions, one banning mixing cabs and one making it compulsory ;)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='393606' date='Jan 28 2009, 12:59 PM']I thought it was highly unlikely you would be random mixing - but thats what a lot do and what I frequently get flamed for warning against. Perhaps we should start 2 petitions, one banning mixing cabs and one making it compulsory ;)[/quote]

And, for the sake of clarity, can I make it clear that, if the Government was proposing legislation in [b]either[/b] direction, I would sign a petition against it!! :P :huh: :) :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Just had an email from 10 Downing Street.

"We are pleased to tell you that there is no truth in claims that the Government is planning to introduce a requirement for entertainment venues to fit noise control devices.

Each Local Authority Licensing Authority considers every live music application on its merits, and decisions are made entirely by them. However, the Licensing Act 2003 does not allow mandatory conditions for live music to be imposed across the board. It would not be possible to impose such a condition without a change in the law and such a change is not, and never has been, on the Government’s agenda.

There is also no legal requirement under health and safety legislation for entertainment venues to have noise control devices fitted, nor is there any proposal.

The Government is acutely aware of the contribution that music makes to our culture and we remain committed to a vibrant and flourishing creative sector, of which live music plays an essential part."

It was a hoax.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='414105' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:12 PM']It was a hoax.[/quote]

Do you think it was a hoax or just that several pressure groups (not musicians but those with financial interests such as manufacturers, operators & breweries) got there first? I might have been walking around with my eyes closed for several years, but recently I've seen a couple of pubs with posters saying 'BANDS WANTED FOR CASH GIGS', and I've never seen that before, not down here anyway. I guess the economy is such that even the most genteel of pubs are now realising that music = musicians and their friends = beer ;)