Why become a member? ×

Thumbing

aceuggy

[quote]I'm not sure what that emoticon means. I'm guessing: ho hum![/quote]
No, not at all. It means that I was half expecting someone to link to an accomplished player playing thumb style :)

However, my answer to the original question: [quote]Is there any reason not to just use my thumb?[/quote]
would still be:

"None at all...but it's highly unlikely that you will become an accomplished player."
(Note that I say "highly unlikely" and not "impossible")

To advise a relative beginner to play by just plucking with his thumb would be bad advice.

Steve

PS. Does Robbie [i]never[/i] play the orthodox two finger style? :huh:

[quote name='aceuggy' post='373871' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:53 AM']Is there any reason not to just use my thumb?[/quote]

That's how I used to play when I started. Got a good tone that's different to fingers or pick. Only problem I found was speed. If you can get it fast enough for your needs, stick with it. I still drop it in from time to time.

[quote name='The Funk' post='374819' date='Jan 9 2009, 09:46 AM']That's how I used to play when I started. Got a good tone that's different to fingers or pick. Only problem I found was speed. If you can get it fast enough for your needs, stick with it. I still drop it in from time to time.[/quote]

+1 for the first year or so of playing i only used my thumb, till i started learning faster songs then i switched to 2 fingers.

I still use my thumb for spanish type plucking on melodic parts or if the root note is on the E with higher notes on the G.