Why become a member? ×

Chaka Khan Transcription

XB26354

***EDIT*** revised with corrections - Gs in bars 11 and 16 should have been Gb, section B should have been a bridge (horns are at D bar 46), section E at bar 52 is the second bridge and the four 16th notes on beat 4 of bars 72, 78, 82 and 90 should be A natural, Bb, A natural, Gb. Thanks, Mat :)

Hi,
Not strictly a bass one as it is Greg Phillinganes playing what sounds like a Moog, but well worth it if you persevere - very funky and some great licks.
Also fun (if hard!) to play on "real" bass. Not one to sight read though :huh:
Cheers
Mat

Edited by XB26354

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='XB26354' post='373596' date='Jan 7 2009, 10:21 PM']Not strictly a bass one as it is Greg Phillinganes playing what sounds like a Moog, but well worth it if you persevere - very funky and some great licks.
Also fun (if hard!) to play on "real" bass. Not one to sight read though ;)
Cheers
Mat[/quote]

It is a strict bass part though as it is the main man Anthony Jackson. The part was later doubled with the Moog. It is one of my favourite bass lines ever, ridiculously funky. I love playing this bassline. Cheers for the actual transcription though.

I wrote this chart out years ago when vinyl was the order of the day! - Just located it and I scored it in D Maj....Was my deck running slow???..Always wanted to do this,hence the chart; never quite worked though..What about Night in tunisia from the same album- suberb bass & vocals..............Best bass line ever? - AJ playing Used To Be A Cha-cha with Michel Camillo & Joel Rosenblatt [NEVER thought I'd say that as I'm a Jaco freak]..

[quote name='Beneath It All' post='394914' date='Jan 29 2009, 08:36 PM']I wrote this chart out years ago when vinyl was the order of the day! - Just located it and I scored it in D Maj....Was my deck running slow???..Always wanted to do this,hence the chart; never quite worked though..What about Night in tunisia from the same album- suberb bass & vocals..............Best bass line ever? - AJ playing Used To Be A Cha-cha with Michel Camillo & Joel Rosenblatt [NEVER thought I'd say that as I'm a Jaco freak]..[/quote]

Night in Tunisia..Great Chaka version.
Is it not Nathan East on Bass?

Garry

[quote name='Mikey D' post='394661' date='Jan 29 2009, 03:33 PM']It is a strict bass part though as it is the main man Anthony Jackson. The part was later doubled with the Moog. It is one of my favourite bass lines ever, ridiculously funky. I love playing this bassline. Cheers for the actual transcription though.[/quote]
...................You sure about that?..I don't believe AJ is present on this track

[quote name='Beneath It All' post='394930' date='Jan 29 2009, 08:59 PM']Nathan who? Never heard him lay down stuff like that - Am I missing something?..The track in question is definitely AJ or Abe Laboriel...[/quote]

NATHAN EAST.
you are missing something.!
Night in Tunisia Is Nathan East electric bass / and i think Greg Phillinganes synth Bass.
[ Parker solo glued in there somewhere as well, if i remember they had to modulate into the original key ]

And i think you will find "Mikey D" is correct about AJ and the Moog bass on " We can work it out"
Arif Mardin Arrangements superb.

Edited by lowdown

Hi Garry - As it happens, I just found the vinyl,not heard it for years - track listing AJ all tracks except WCWIO[NO bass] and Tunisia with Laboriel & David Foster; Seems like I was wrong re the key, It IS in Eflat and I now remember scoring it for guitar as I was plying my trade on six skinny strings at that time..Cheers..mike

[quote name='Beneath It All' post='395038' date='Jan 29 2009, 11:03 PM']Hi Garry - As it happens, I just found the vinyl,not heard it for years - track listing AJ all tracks except WCWIO[NO bass] and Tunisia with Laboriel & David Foster; Seems like I was wrong re the key, It IS in Eflat and I now remember scoring it for guitar as I was plying my trade on six skinny strings at that time..Cheers..mike[/quote]

Mike...

You are right regarding Abe Laborial, just checked the CD.
I do remember reading somewhere that AJ said he played on
WCWIO, and a Bass synth was over dubbed later. [ might be a bit of Carole Kaying going on there.. ;) ]

There is a great article somewhere [ i am gonna google it if i can ]
With Arif Mardin, about the modulation to fit the Parker solo in.

Garry

Hi guys,
Hope you liked the transcription - I've got the CD and like you said it only mentions Greg playing Moog on WCWIO (especially when it goes way out of tune on one lower note!). I'd have bet that A night in Tunisia was Abe Laboriel just from the tone and what he plays. Great double of Parker's old sax break by Herbie Hancock, plus Dizzy himself noodles over the end. I'm sure this is on YouTube somewhere too.
I've done the rest of this album and Naughty - will post a link to the site where you can get them if you're interested in the nearish future...

• 4 years later...

[b] I just found this site while trying to find the Chaka Khan session transcriptions. Great Site! You mentioned you had transcribed the "What Cha Gonna Do For Me" CD and that you might make them available. Is that still a possibility?[/b]

[quote name='XB26354' timestamp='1233321279' post='395359']
Hi guys,
Hope you liked the transcription - I've got the CD and like you said it only mentions Greg playing Moog on WCWIO (especially when it goes way out of tune on one lower note!). I'd have bet that A night in Tunisia was Abe Laboriel just from the tone and what he plays. Great double of Parker's old sax break by Herbie Hancock, plus Dizzy himself noodles over the end. I'm sure this is on YouTube somewhere too.
I've done the rest of this album and Naughty - will post a link to the site where you can get them if you're interested in the nearish future...
[/quote]

• 4 years later...