Why become a member? ×

Chapman Stick Playing Forum Members

Bassmanc

I'm just curious as a search in a few forum topics for the "stick" leads me to believe there are a few fellow Chapman Stick players out there and a good number of curious bass players interested to learn more about them.

I've had one for about 12 years. Its a 10 string graphite model which I've used Tony Levin / Nick Beggs style as a bass only instrument in a band. At the time of purchase I was playing only 4 string basses (Fretted and fretless finger and slap style). I agree with comments I've read on here that you can't just pick it up and expect to sound like Tony Levin, but after a little investment (a pair of 1x 15 cabs to accompany my 4 x 10s, a studio spec compressor, and most importantly a TC Electronics phaser!) and a lesson from the very excellent friend and loony, Nick Beggs and I had the basics sussed!

I used to use it regularly on stage with "Touch the Pearl" in Blackpool and the NW, including appearances at the Band on the Wall in Manchester and various other venues and supporting appearances with ELO, Edwin Starr and others. I'm dusting it down now and trying to get back into playing, so finding some fellow stickists would be great!

[quote name='nig' post='370180' date='Jan 4 2009, 06:26 PM']I got an SB 8 std 4th tuning in july from a guy in NYC, havnt found a band to use it in yet. :)[/quote]

I haven't even heard of an SB 8, though I have heard rumours of a 8-string version where I'd previously thought they only came in 10 and 12 string varieties.

Do you have any pics?

[quote name='nig' post='370789' date='Jan 5 2009, 12:04 PM']Eek...you get the idea, they can be in dual reciprocal tuning or std 4ths B to Bb.[/quote]

Thanks for posting the picture, weird having the bass strings closest to you, seems to defeatthe whole concept of the stick (ie that it screwws with your perception of reality every time you pick it up!!)

Lets have some more stick playing pics - I'll dig some of mine out tonight!

[quote name='Bassmanc' post='371653' date='Jan 6 2009, 09:43 AM']Thanks for posting the picture, weird having the bass strings closest to you, seems to defeatthe whole concept of the stick (ie that it screwws with your perception of reality every time you pick it up!!)[/quote]

I had to read that statement twice, then got the point and had a chuckle to myself, as 10's and 12 grande sticks tuning are different to the SB8 and the steinberg hybrid 8 string stick bass, the 8 can be sent back to emmett to be reworked but 4ths from low to high is fine for my head although the span is hard so I do play right hand bass some times, the thing with a stick is...there are no rules, which is kinda hard to get used to but nice. :)

[quote name='nig' post='371981' date='Jan 6 2009, 01:40 PM']I had to read that statement twice, then got the point and had a chuckle to myself, as 10's and 12 grande sticks tuning are different to the SB8 and the steinberg hybrid 8 string stick bass, the 8 can be sent back to emmett to be reworked but 4ths from low to high is fine for my head although the span is hard so I do play right hand bass some times, the thing with a stick is...there are no rules, which is kinda hard to get used to but nice. :)[/quote]

Indeed, I play bass on the low 5 strings of my 10 string instrument and don't ever really bother trying to compete up in the guitar, keyboard, vocal range (I get shouted at when I do!). But some of the songs we do (particularly covers) I can play on stick or bass depending on where the song is on the set list and my level of laziness to change instrument! So this is where the problems start, because the hand shapes are totally different to play the same notes due to the inverted strings and the different tuning.

It's a bit like driving the wife's car after my own - I wonder why all the cotrols are in the wrong place and why the seat is so close to the steering wheel!

:huh:

Its wierd, I always assumed that these were new instuments but I was watching some prog rock documentery on BBC4 and saw one in one of the bands there and I realised I know nothing about these intruments. Sorry to butt in Chapmanites, just felt I should share!

Edited by josh3184

What kind of mad idiot would try to play one of those things??????

Oh yeah, I have two by the way. Some videos in my link below.

I actually kind of gave up about a year and a half ago. I just couldn't get to grips with what I wanted to do with it and felt that it wasn't working out to my satisfaction. I've had a few attempts to get back into it but as a multi-instrumentalist I have a lot of other stuff to play with!

[quote name='mcgraham' post='372548' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:43 PM']How much do second hand chapman sticks from Stick enterprises typically cost? They are an instrument I'd love to pick up at some point, just for the tonal options and fun they provide :)

Mark[/quote]

The cheapest second hand instrument I've seen in recent years was an ironwood 10 string on Ebay. I think it went for around £1200, but please don't quote me on that!

The carbon 10-string is about the cheapest second hand buy by all accounts, but they're rare finds.

[quote name='Golchen' post='372752' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:26 AM']What kind of mad idiot would try to play one of those things??????

Oh yeah, I have two by the way. Some videos in my link below.

I actually kind of gave up about a year and a half ago. I just couldn't get to grips with what I wanted to do with it and felt that it wasn't working out to my satisfaction. I've had a few attempts to get back into it but as a multi-instrumentalist I have a lot of other stuff to play with![/quote]

Two, That's just greedy dude! I liked your playing - I'm always impressed by those who tackle the full range two hand stuff as I've been too lazy to try it seriously. - I need both hands just to play my basslines!

[quote name='Bassmanc' post='372767' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:36 AM']Two, That's just greedy dude! I liked your playing - I'm always impressed by those who tackle the full range two hand stuff as I've been too lazy to try it seriously. - I need both hands just to play my basslines![/quote]

My approach has never been about basslines. I like to play the stick as melody line with backing arpeggios that include bass notes. There are many ways to play the stick!

Two sticks: I got a graphite 12 originally after many months of scouring eBay, but I'm a BIG fan of wood generally, so I was always on the lookout for something else. A Paduak 12 eventually showed up and I had the spare cash so I got it, with the intention of letting the Graphite stick go. In actual fact the graphite didn't go as I found it useful to have it at work and noodle in my lunchbreaks.

Edited by Golchen

LOOKING TO BUY A STICK???

1) They turn up on ebay sometimes. Just set up a search and get it to email you when one shows up

2) Stickist.com has a classified section: [url="http://www.stickist.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=626a6de69ed06abc8147361e6c2f8cf3"]LINK HERE[/url]

3) Call Stick Enterprises, they sometimes have old ones to sell on. If you order a new one the wait seems to be in the region of 12 months these days! Note: You need to phone them, as they are very poor at replying to emails! Contact details can be found at [url="http://www.stick.com/"]www.stick.com[/url]

Edited by Golchen

I found mine on craiglist it was also on talkbass, as it was when the dollar was 2 to the pound so cost around 700 plus duty, It came with flight case and soft case, also Emmett Chapman and his family are still hands on and helpful at a personal level, I had to restring it and set it up, which isnt as easy as you think, its not like a bass and mine was well out of sorts when I got it, for more interest go to www.stickist.com/forum

we should start a self help group as well. I always need help... :)

[quote name='nig' post='373035' date='Jan 7 2009, 01:28 PM']I found mine on craiglist it was also on talkbass, as it was when the dollar was 2 to the pound so cost around 700 plus duty, It came with flight case and soft case, also Emmett Chapman and his family are still hands on and helpful at a personal level, I had to restring it and set it up, which isnt as easy as you think, its not like a bass and mine was well out of sorts when I got it, for more interest go to www.stickist.com/forum

we should start a self help group as well. I always need help... :)[/quote]

Yeah - do we get a discount if all 5 of us buy a set of strings together!???

:huh:

[quote name='BTGAndy' post='374928' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:27 AM']Any of you local to the North East? I'm interested in buying one and I'd like to try one out. I've got a seven string already so I'm part of the way there![/quote]
Come down the A1 on Feb 15th, as two members are threatening to bring their sticks to the bash!