Why become a member? ×

Stentor Double Basses

I have been looking on the market for a double bass to purchase and I have come across the Stentor Range, in particular
the Conservatorie series appealed to me.
But before I make the financial committment I would love to get a valued second and even 3rd opinion from those
that have been in this long enough to know the difference between a good and crappy double bass.

Thank you in advance,

Greg Adams

Hi Greg,
firstly whats your budget?
Have a trawl through past threads in this section to find many conversations on this very topic. I have a Stentor which I keep in a band van for on the road and flying. Its cheap and sounds ok amplified, but it's not a patch on my old German basses.
It really depends on what you are going to use it for and how seriously you are taking it.
Best of luck and feel free to come back with further questions.
Jake

Greg, I've been playing a Stentor Arcadia for 4 or 5 years now and had no problems with it whatsoever. I amplify it through a Shadow SH950 into an Acoustic Image Contra and get a great sound from it. It has a good acoustic sound too. The guys in my folk session love it. It cost me £1500 from the Violin Shop in Glasgow ready setup. They usually have about 10-15 basses in stock. As Jake said it probably wouldn't be a patch on a vintage German bass but you get what you pay for. Avoid Antoni basses like the plague!

If you have the chance to try a few different basses, do. That will help you make a comparison.

Graham

Edited by BassBus

I have a Stentor student (model 1950) - The one with a solid top & ply back & sides. It does seem a bit rough & ready, but was nice & cheap, it seems to be tough and sounds decent with a K&K pickup & Thomastik Spirocores.

I don't take it out much though as its not as easy to carry or play as my NS CR-5M EUB.

I've got a stentor and I'm in South East London (SE13). Feel free to contact me if you'd like to check it out.

Edit: Just checked it, it's a Zeller, for Stentor, don't know what model it is but the luthier said it's got a solid top and lami back.

Edited by ardi100

• 1 month later...

ive been playing one for a year and its been fine.

but you'll need to look at replacing the endpin and get a decent set of strings on it pretty quickly.
ive only been playing upright for just over a year and it seems to be a great beginner to intermediate instrument.

good luck with it.