Why become a member? ×

Roberts strings

paul h

Has anyone got any experience of these?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280277548636"]ROBERTS - ELECTRIC BASS GUITAR STRINGS SNAKES 40s
SUPER PRO SMOOTHWOUND BASS SET[/url]

I have used the Growlers a few times and they are fine. I am actually considering going all smooth and sticking these on both my SX J and P. I was just going to go for the J and stick to stainless steel rounds on the P. However my impatience and Roberts seeming lack of Growlers means that I am sorely tempted to jump in with both feet.

Anybody want to talk me out of it?

Paul.

Edited by paul h

Hi Paul,
I've had experience of Roberts flats before, wasn't impressed at all - though I do hear roundwonds are good for the price.

However, label on the strings you're refering to is different to the three sets with [i]lifeless[/i] E strings I've got languishing in my box of bits & bobs - so Roberts could possibly now be sourcing their [i]flats [/i] from a decent manufacturer. :)

I personally would go for [url="http://webstrings.com/flatwound_bass_strings.html"]Webstrings flats[/url] cheap, & as good as Ernie Balls, Fender & d'Addarios IMO.

Cheers

Edited by nick

That is most generous of you...but I have just talked myself out of flats! :)

I have decided to stick with stainless steel rounds on the P and nickels on the J. I will probably get some Roberts Growlers for the ss and go back to D'Addario for the nickels.

Much appreciated though!

Paul.

[quote]Ive gone for a set of Status HWire flats instead.[/quote]

Snap, just ordered some this morning. I have used Roto jazz flats in the past and found the 45-105 a bit too tight though the 40-100 were just right. I currently have a set of Ernie Ball flats on but they have odd guages (heavy top and light/medium bottoms) which feel a bit odd when in drop D.

[quote name='markytbass' post='364125' date='Dec 27 2008, 12:23 PM'].....I currently have a set of Ernie Ball flats on but they have odd guages (heavy top and light/medium bottoms) which feel a bit odd when in drop D.[/quote]

I liked the tone of Ernie Ball flats, but found tensions a bit weird, somehow uneven(?). Now happy with Webstrings - gauges seem more even spread,very similar in tone to Ernie Ball & Fender flats -nicer to play.

[quote name='markytbass' post='363900' date='Dec 26 2008, 09:15 PM']In my experience the Roberts Flat wound were crap. 4 sets and 4 dead E strings.[/quote]

Me too. TBH seller was as helpful as possible, but I lost hope at fourth free set.

Edited by nick

[quote name='steve-soar' post='364380' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:45 PM']I put Status flats (40-100) on my P bass and was pleased with the quality of them, not too tight, really well made and they sound great.[/quote]

Steve, thats encouraging, cheers.

Anyone got any spare pup/bridge covers goiung cheap?