Why become a member? ×

Sensitive Bass Cabs

jimmy23cricket

To be honest they are a cumbersome tool when RTA is so widely available on all sorts of gear. I've a very basic model and the readings are consistent given that the biggest problem is external noises. The frequency response is also limited so accuracy at the frequency extremes is compromised. Mine came with a calibration curve of sorts but not specific to my actual meter. I used to make measurements with 1/3 octave filtered noise and it was useful if laborious.

It might be worth looking at some freeware like REW https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ you can start off using the mic and pre in the meter and then move on to a proper calibrated mic as the need and cash arises

A class 2 calibrated meter costs reasonable amount of money, but a class 1 that includes periodic calibration sure is overkill at home.

An RMS DMM has limited frequency response, so there will be lots of work to try to measure anything reasonable.

RTA on the other hand may cost anything from tens of pounds to sky-high extremes. Buy an old Behringer 8024 Ultra-curve. Sure it is cheap and has tiny, but not an impossible display in it. Print that manual, you'll gonna need it. Measuring mics also cost anything from £50 to £5000. Your needs are covered with a £50 mic that has no calibration certificate. Why? Because I doubt the possibility to use an anechoic chamber.

Horizontal and vertical placements are crucial - 1 meter is the basic measuring distance. Anything else should be normalized to that one meter's distance. Logarithms are your friend...

LOL!

I was thinking of buying a cheapy for £10-£15 off eBay!

It's just for curiosity to make my subjective comparisons less vague.

I'm very familiar with issues of measurement as well as the differences between accuracy and precision.. and also how easy it is for people to waste their time making measurements with spurious precision.

3 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

You can get a Real Time Analyzer app for your phone. It may not be laboratory grade, but it will enable you to make comparisons between different cabs.

Yup and its also possible to buy (Bill knows this already) external calibrated reference microphones for smart phones too. Selecting an app that allows insertion of the calibration file included with the device  results in a super little set up that is, going by  test reviews, accurate enough for this application.