Posted (edited)

Ok, so my quest for a decent sounding, giggable, lightweight combo has finished (for now at least) with a Tech21 VT bass 200.  I tried out various fender rumbles ( I didn’t like the form factor, sound was only average), GK mb series ( very in your face sounding), Markbass cmd121p (not bad, but did not excite me. Quite a bit more money than the others), and Ibanez prometheans ( the p3110 was boxy, the p3115 actually sounded pretty good).  The Tech21 beat them all with its great (and versatile) sound, light weight, good looks, and reasonable price.

I played on the world’s smallest stage, with full P.A. support with it last night. Good tone, plenty loud enough (although my existing 1x10 can handle this particular stage) and a one-handed carry in and out of the gig 😃. A better test is coming next week a a local bar with good stage and acoustics but no P.A. I’m confident the little VT will get the job done.  Hopefully I will get a review up after that.

Here are some pics to feast your eyes on.  I’ve included a shot of my Frankenstein-amp which is a cab from a Ibanez promethean p5110  combo but with a GK mb500 providing the power. The little ibby-GK am is now on permanent practice duty.

6244D1C7-8F6D-48B7-9D62-8A9C76DF73BA.jpeg

573009B0-78EC-4DC8-B63F-38E2711D9B7C.jpeg

7AF158E8-D97D-407B-8FE2-5347D7465E93.jpeg

08DC23F9-D654-4B59-BCEE-9202CCE974A8.jpeg

Edited by Aliwobble
  • Like 4

Congrats on that.

Tech21 are a monster company with real quality throughout the line, this and the Power Deuce Deluxe are very good all in one solutions 

• Like 1

Bit of an update.  I still haven’t done a decent sized gig with the vtb yet, but it happily keeps up at band practice against two small guitar amps  and a light hitting drummer.

This weekend for a proper workout, hopefully.

• Like 1

Ok, proper live gig review! 

Last night we played at a local up-stairs venue, but this one has a decent size stage (just right for a 4 piece) , a huge PA, and a sound man who knows his stuff.  The little vtbass was working hard ( gain at 11 o’clock, master at about 2 o’clock) but was able to keep up.  I suspect that it did not have much more to give. The PA was doing the heavy lifting, of course, and the amp was just a stage monitor, but everything worked just like it should.  The sound man was happy with what we were feeding him, and said we were easy to mix.  At he end of the night it was an easy one-trip load out.

Tonight we are playing a party with just a vocal PA which will be the final test to see if the amp is loud enough in that setting.

Ok, final review.

Saturday night was a party in a barn, with just a vocal PA. The little vtbass got the job done, but this did show its limitations. It is not a 30Kg Eden 2x10 cab with a 300 watt head.  When pushed hard, a relatively cheap 1x12 can only stretch so far. You can just hear it working hard, and loosing a bit of definition in the last half an octave where a bigger rig holds together.  Still sounded fine, unless you were a bass player with a critical ear.

So, good for practices, small gigs, or small stages with PA support. Sounds very nice until pushed hard.  At the end of the day, it’s only a $1100NZ 1x12 amp, and my serious rig cost three times and weighs twice as much.

I’m still very happy with my purchase.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I doubt that it would be bad. Just a question of if you like that particular sound, or not.

Edited by Aliwobble

I loaned the little vtbass to a mate who has a full ampeg rig, complete with 8x10 fridge.  His response was “it rocks!”. I will take that as a vote of approval.

• Like 2

I play in an acoustic band with a VT500 head and Barefaced One10. Whilst I could do with another cab for certain scenarios, it sounds great. I’m sure the VT head  through a big cab would sound monster. 

• Like 2

An extra cabinet certainly gives things a bit more heft. Sadly, the room I used this in was all boomy and I had to eq quite drastically so I cannot tell you if it sounded any good.

20191006_002039.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By topgun
      NOW SOLD!
      Hello everyone,
      I'm selling most of my stuff, including my favourite combo ever. Small, light, powerful, sounds great without endless knob-fiddling. What more could you ask for?
      All specs are here: http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/cmd-121h/
      I've never gigged with this (just a handful of studio sessions), so it has had no pint spillage or other accidents whilst in my care (and I've stopped drinking, which helps). It's in great condition and works perfectly. 
      I'm not interested in any trades, sorry. I need to get rid of stuff, not just replace one thing with another.
      Local pickup preferred but I'm willing to meet somewhere not too far from home (South London). Alternatively, I'm in Worthing 2-3 days a week for work, so I could bring it down there if that suits. If you want it delivered, you will have to pay for fully insured posting.
      Happy to answer any questions.
      Thanks
      (Ps. I'm also selling a Sadowsky Metro 5, Xotic XP4, Sire Marcus Miller V7, and some effects and stuff - look out for those postings as well, if you're interested.)

• By Muppet
      Very good condition combo and cab - cab is Italian made and combo is Indonesian.  I've bypassed the combo tweeter but this is easily reversed as it's just spade connectors. 
      Roqsolid covers for each - different colour piping so I can recognise which is which when I'm in a rush!
      Collection please (i'm near M1 J15)  although I can meet up. No trades unless it's a Barefaced Retro 610!
      Cab on hold. Combo with blue piping cover £430.. 

• By TAzMilitello
      FOR SALE this 250 watt good great little bass combo in great condition. This model can use 2 "tone print" effects that you can load from loads using your phone.
      Being lightweight and relatively easy to carry is a huge bonus in a decent giggable bass amp.
      Photo of this amp on the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13oI6w9-ALVnfAVxkbTDhRLuJqVirXu7w
      Official website and specs can be found here: https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Bass/Combo-Amplifiers/BG250-112/p/P0BRK 
      Mainly I prefer to sell without trades!
      Foreign Currency: about payments different from the Euros currency you can pay by clicking using this ►Transferwise bank transfer◄ link.

ABOUT SHIPPING:
      Bass is located in Italy (Sicily). No problems for international fast shipping (following prices including shockproof packaging):
      To Italy: 30€ (1/2 working days) To Ireland/Great Britain: 60€ (4/5 working days) To Germany and Austria: 45€ (3/4 working days) To Spain: 60€ (4/5 working days) To France: 65€ (4/5 working days) To Lithuania: 75€ (4/5 working days) To Romania: 80€ (4/5 working days) To Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands: 65€ (3/4 working days) To Czech Republic (CZ): 80€ (4/5 working days) To USA and Canada: 110€ (6/8 working days)

• By Osiris
      Up for grabs is my used Marshall MB-30 Bass Combo. This has been used and is in good condition and full working order. There are a couple of small rips in the Tolex covering that have been glued down but otherwise it's fine. It's has a 10" speaker and 30 watts of power and has an auxiliary input and headphone socket for silent practice. Comes with an official Marshall cover. £50 ono. 
      Collection only from Wellingborough in Northamptonshire, please.

• By TRBboy
      Hi folks! 
      I've not had this amp long, and whilst it's bloody fantastic, it's not quite for me. It's in superb condition, and comes with a thickly padded vinyl Hotcovers cover (not originally for this combo, but fits pretty well). 
      Most people seem to know all about these anyway, but for those who don't, it's a seriously good sounding, loud combo, that belies its compact and lightweight form. 
      500w class D amplifier section (350w standalone without an 8 ohm ext. Cab), 2x10" custom designed eminence drivers and a switchable horn, eq pre-shapes, drive channel (footswitchable), 4 band eq section, and all the ins and outs you might need. 
      I have to say, I've been absolutely staggered by the quality of sound and volume that this thing produces! Incredible bottom end for a combo this size (beats the pants off the Markbass 2x10 combo I used to have), and ample volume for the vast majority of pub /club /function gigs. Our rock covers band is pretty damn loud, both guitarists have VERY loud valve amps, and I don't think I got the volume above halfway on the two gigs I used it on! Couple it up to another cab, and you've got a full 500w! 
      I'm in Hereford, which isn't known for its great transport links, but I'm happy to meet within a reasonable distance. I'd prefer not to ship as it'll be a PITA to package, but it's not entirely out of the question. Will be in London area on Saturday 21st for the bass show if that helps anyone. 
      Thanks for looking, and any questions, please get in touch. 😊👍