Why become a member? ×

Tech21 VT bass 200: NCD!

Aliwobble

Ok, so my quest for a decent sounding, giggable, lightweight combo has finished (for now at least) with a Tech21 VT bass 200.  I tried out various fender rumbles ( I didn’t like the form factor, sound was only average), GK mb series ( very in your face sounding), Markbass cmd121p (not bad, but did not excite me. Quite a bit more money than the others), and Ibanez prometheans ( the p3110 was boxy, the p3115 actually sounded pretty good).  The Tech21 beat them all with its great (and versatile) sound, light weight, good looks, and reasonable price.

I played on the world’s smallest stage, with full P.A. support with it last night. Good tone, plenty loud enough (although my existing 1x10 can handle this particular stage) and a one-handed carry in and out of the gig 😃. A better test is coming next week a a local bar with good stage and acoustics but no P.A. I’m confident the little VT will get the job done.  Hopefully I will get a review up after that.

Here are some pics to feast your eyes on.  I’ve included a shot of my Frankenstein-amp which is a cab from a Ibanez promethean p5110  combo but with a GK mb500 providing the power. The little ibby-GK am is now on permanent practice duty.

6244D1C7-8F6D-48B7-9D62-8A9C76DF73BA.jpeg

573009B0-78EC-4DC8-B63F-38E2711D9B7C.jpeg

7AF158E8-D97D-407B-8FE2-5347D7465E93.jpeg

08DC23F9-D654-4B59-BCEE-9202CCE974A8.jpeg

Edited by Aliwobble
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, proper live gig review! 

Last night we played at a local up-stairs venue, but this one has a decent size stage (just right for a 4 piece) , a huge PA, and a sound man who knows his stuff.  The little vtbass was working hard ( gain at 11 o’clock, master at about 2 o’clock) but was able to keep up.  I suspect that it did not have much more to give. The PA was doing the heavy lifting, of course, and the amp was just a stage monitor, but everything worked just like it should.  The sound man was happy with what we were feeding him, and said we were easy to mix.  At he end of the night it was an easy one-trip load out.

Tonight we are playing a party with just a vocal PA which will be the final test to see if the amp is loud enough in that setting.

Ok, final review.

Saturday night was a party in a barn, with just a vocal PA. The little vtbass got the job done, but this did show its limitations. It is not a 30Kg Eden 2x10 cab with a 300 watt head.  When pushed hard, a relatively cheap 1x12 can only stretch so far. You can just hear it working hard, and loosing a bit of definition in the last half an octave where a bigger rig holds together.  Still sounded fine, unless you were a bass player with a critical ear.

So, good for practices, small gigs, or small stages with PA support. Sounds very nice until pushed hard.  At the end of the day, it’s only a $1100NZ 1x12 amp, and my serious rig cost three times and weighs twice as much.

I’m still very happy with my purchase.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...