Why become a member? ×

Talking Bass Scale Manual for £60 odd.. thoughts?

Chrisbassboy5

Hi Folks, I follow Mark and love his stuff but wo see what folks think of the newly released course for £60 odd. 

Just wondering ad I need to learn the bass fretboard and build good technique..  etc. 

Appreciate comparisons and advice from better bassist on here..

Regards. Chris

If you were to have a personal lesson with a professional then that’d cost you upwards of £36 an hour.

The biggest issue is whether you personally are one of those people that follows online courses to the letter or who gets frustrated early and ducks out.

I’m the latter, and prefer books and one/on-one instruction, but we’re all different!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

If you were to have a personal lesson with a professional then that’d cost you upwards of £36 an hour.

The biggest issue is whether you personally are one of those people that follows online courses to the letter or who gets frustrated early and ducks out.

I’m the latter, and prefer books and one/on-one instruction, but we’re all different!

I'm actually the opposite of that. I had one to one lessons a few years ago and just found it a really uncomfortable experience. I just didn't take anything in. I actually much prefer video lessons so I can "rewind" and revisit a subject as much as I want until it makes sense. 

Like you say, everyone is different. We're lucky to live in an era where there's so much choice. 

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm actually the opposite of that. I had one to one lessons a few years ago and just found it a really uncomfortable experience. I just didn't take anything in. I actually much prefer video lessons so I can "rewind" and revisit a subject as much as I want until it makes sense. 

Like you say, everyone is different. We're lucky to live in an era where there's so much choice. 

Cheers guys, interesting perspective..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

11 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

It's really interesting that this is pointed out. Though I realise it could be a financial overhead, as a private teacher I've always actively encouraged my students to take material from me and other sources, especially the likes of YouTube. I even point out links to watch as an addition to the material I have delivered.

It does one of two things, the first you have mentioned already (best of both worlds) - the other is that it keeps me as a teacher on my toes too! I need to make sure that I am being understood and am teaching effectively :) This means exploring different ways to deliver the lesson; you have quite rightly pointed out that we all learn in different ways - and a good teacher in my eyes is one that given the opportunity to be able to (1-2-1) can tailor lessons to meet that requirement. (I appreciate that a class teacher with 30 students just doesn't have that flexibility and one could say that of online resources too). 

Either way, having these options as students (I am still very much on,  as should every teacher) is just an exciting time to be a musician.

Apologies, I've read my post back and it's a bit me-me-me ha ha.. Anyway, in short, I am pretty confident that the material in Mark Smith's courses is worth the pay out. He's a great teacher and the material is clear and will be well written.

• Like 1