Why become a member? ×

Gibson Grabber G3 Pickup replacement

Help! The bridge pickup in my 76 Grabber G3 is dead. It turns out it can't be rewound/repaired because it is set in it's resin case (see pic below). Ive searched Ebay and Reverb and there isn't anything suitable. Do any G3 owners here have any experience replacing this pickup? I've read that the pickup (made by Bill Lawrence) is also in the Gibson S-1 guitar so im searching for one of those too....but it seems that this bridge pick up is different to the other two as it has different coloured wires?! The resistance is around 5.5k , perhaps there are some custom pickup builders here that can help? Any advice would be most welcome.    2073100640_GrabberG3Pickup.thumb.jpg.80cf7e5cd304a5f25b37a6e78ea9e47a.jpg

29 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Maybe make an approach to the Seymour Duncan custom shop, see how much they'd charge you to build something to fit?

http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/

Edit: Also Bill Lawrence's daughter's pickup company here https://www.wildepickups.com/

Thanks for your reply. I’ve sent an email to both. I’m going to try some UK pickup makers too. It appears Seymour Duncan won’t ship to the EU.

2 hours ago, Bass is the place said:

It appears Seymour Duncan won’t ship to the EU.

You could always use one of those forwarding companies like Viabox where SD ship to US address, forwarder sends it to you. Trouble with US purchases is the additional shipping, import duty and VAT. As you say, maybe a UK pickup maker's the way forward. 

Anyhow, good luck with your quest :)

I emailed Gibson.....I got a reply! 

..........‘That’s a real pity, as these pickups are no longer made for many years already.

We don’t have old stock of these either, so we really cannot help you with this, sorry!”

........the words “Ashtray” and “Motorbike” spring to mind! 

Edited by Bass is the place
Missed a bit

• 3 years later...

4 years later..... Any luck?

(I keep thinking: if you can measure the resistance means that the copper wiring and leads are good. Only other thing 'malfunctioning' would then be the magnet (of which the field strength can be restored).

IOW:  I'm curious!!!!

On 19/06/2023 at 10:18, Henk5718 said:

4 years later..... Any luck?

(I keep thinking: if you can measure the resistance means that the copper wiring and leads are good. Only other thing 'malfunctioning' would then be the magnet (of which the field strength can be restored).

IOW:  I'm curious!!!!

Update; I ended up calling Aaron Armstrong and he somehow managed to repair it! So far so good.