Why become a member? ×

More band frustrations

Nicko

I’m in a band that plays about 4 gigs a year because there’s like one decent  drummer to go around in my hometown and he’s in about 5 other bands , projects etc. We tried replacing him (with his blessing) but we just can’t get a decent available drummer. We tried one and it was a disaster. I hate that my bass playing career revolves around the availability of said drummer , a really top bloke btw. Around a gig a month would be perfect 

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Agreed. The Zoom recorders are excellent for this and give surprisingly good results. They also highlight situations where the whole band - or even just one offender - are/is too loud.

I use my Zoom on audio only and the singer also uses his mobile which gives a reasonable recording too. Its good enough to hear mistakes and get levels set properly which is something my current band neds to focus on after our last gig where we used backline with vocal only PA. Keys were far too loud for a 70's Glam covers band that most songs don't actually have keys.

Dave

• Like 1

On 09/05/2019 at 18:19, uk_lefty said:

The zoom devices are great, you can just set up for ordinary volumes and balance, put the recorder in the middle of the room on a stool or mic stand and off you go. Really worth doing, you can analyse your playing a lot better and see how fills and so on are working out. And you can prove to others that their backing vocals are really, really, REALLY out of tune.

Our guitarist recorded us last night, just with a Fosusright LDC mike into his laptop via an interface. It worked much better - he just put the mike away from the drumkit and not close to any of the amps. I think we will get away with it a week Sunday!