Why become a member? ×

Jescar Jumbo Fret wire

Jimothey

Tone wise there is a little bit of extra brightness to me with the SS wire, they can also feel a bit slicker too when you bend a string. But mainly it’s about the durability as SS frets will last a seriously long time. They’re a little harder to work with but it’s generally over exaggerated as long as you’ve got decent enough tools.

• Thanks 1

On 24/03/2019 at 17:36, Jimothey said:

The ones I've seen the SS is about a tenner more than NS so I think I'll probably go for the NS instead........ Thanks everyone 😀

Only just spotted this.  Good call.  Personally, I tend to use EVO Gold, but my alternative would always be NS.  SS are, in my view, problematic from a builders point of view.

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I'm still waiting for somebody to manufacture Black ( carbon fibre??) fretwire. Love the look of a plain (fretless normally) fretboard - would love to have the look without the hassle of an unmarked board.

I agree why hasn't anyone produced black fret wire I think that would look great against a maple board or like you say on an ebony giving the look of a fretless......... 

Edited by Jimothey

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2019 at 14:25, Jimothey said:

I agree why hasn't anyone produced black fret wire I think that would look great against a maple board or like you say on an ebony giving the look of a fretless......... 

The things that wear well when being scraped by metal are...harder metals. Metals aren't.......black, therefore frets aren't available in that color.

To the original question, all my bass with frets have stainless frets. Warmoth charges $20 extra for stainless. Given that that option gives you much more fret life (probably lifetime frets, as I'm old and spread my wear across multiple basses)), it seems rather silly to go with nickel frets to me. One a couple of my basses I've gone with smaller frets (but still stainless) to see if it tames the high end zing - it seems to do that, although there are enough variables that I can't say for certain.

Edited by micguy