Why become a member? ×

Distortion Pedal

Jesus

Im looking to get a cheap pedal for crimbo, it is my birthday afterall and i was originally looking at the Zoom B1, and Digitech BP80 but all im after is a bit of metal style distortion through my very very old combo. What cheap pedal would you guys recomend?

thanks

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='349970' date='Dec 9 2008, 05:27 PM']Theres a lot of this covered on the forum already (just drive pedals generally), but I guess a good starting question would be the sorts of bands youre looking at/hearing for a distorted tone.

I think for most faster metal, a light grind would suit more than full on fuzz.[/quote]

Thats basically it, does this mean im looking for an overdrive pedal? Any recomendations?

I guess so.

Seems to me you'd really be looking at a bass driver like a sansamp or an MXR but they do cost a fair bit, even second hand.

Maybe a Boss ODB3 might suite you though if youre tight for pennies. Their not overly bad (at least not as bad as some make out) and can be had for about £30 2nd hand on here. For the money, im of the opinion its pretty good.

What sort of price range are you looking at?

I'd agree you might be better off with a good overdrive. I'm sure we've got plenty of tone-heads here who could tell you exactly what you want given a price range and maybe a couple of tunes that feature the type of tone you're trying to cop. :)

Generically-speaking: The Digitech Bad Monkey does a good heavy grind and is very bass-friendly, and they sell new for under £30 on eBay. There's also a mod kit available to further bassify it, but when I had one I didn't think it was needed. It's a top pedal.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='cheddatom' post='350461' date='Dec 10 2008, 10:28 AM']Yeh any guitar OD pedal with a bass EQ control should be fine. I like the ODB-3 and the Marshall Jackhammer myself, but i'm sure there are loads of other great pedals out there.[/quote]

Ive just purchased a Digitech BP80 from LowBlow on this very forum, not to expensive and i reckon i'll be able to have some fun with it as i get more and more competent.

Cheers for your words of wisdom guys.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='350595' date='Dec 10 2008, 12:31 PM']+1 on the Digitech Bad Monkey, also look out for an old Boss Heavy Metal HM-2 or a Turbo RAT.[/quote]

I like all of these, although I find the Turbo Rat and Bad Monkey lose a bit of low end, albeit not a graet deal.

The Marshall Jackhammer mentioned by [b]cheddatom[/b] is another good one. It's not amazing or anything, but I find it keeps the low end well and worth at least checking out for the dirt cheap price.

Edited by redzombie