Saved

XTRM basses 343 build

style of headstock  

9 members have voted

1. 1. hich style you thing looks better?

• angled (like ibanez)
    • scalooped (like fender)

I made some contours but the project its freeze because my router have some problems from the first day i bought it and i send it in the authorized repair man while is still on garanty

IMG_20190504_141828.jpg

IMG_20190503_191617.jpg

• Like 1

The neck blank is ready.Laminated 5 pieces maple and carbon.Still waiting the router from the authorized service (and it looks like i will have to wait more..)

2iubwvl.jpg343sv8z.jpg

• Like 2

Its getong worst my friend..

I went to the guy who cuts the woods for me because i dont have bandsaw,and he couldnt cut it.The blade started to make smoke.

I gave it to another guy to try,and hope he would cut them nice and be ready in 2-3 days..who knows..

I think at the end,these necks will be very stiff

2 hours ago, Saved said:

Its getong worst my friend..

I went to the guy who cuts the woods for me because i dont have bandsaw,and he couldnt cut it.The blade started to make smoke.

I gave it to another guy to try,and hope he would cut them nice and be ready in 2-3 days..who knows..

I think at the end,these necks will be very stiff

Do you know of anyone with a bench saw (disc blade)?  Band saws tend to be best at the shallower cuts.  With a disc saw you can make more than one pass usually.

Edited by SpondonBassed

4 necks are ready to get planed to thickness

mlj9er.jpg

it wasnt possible to cut them with bandsaw so i buy a discsaw (is the right name for it?) for wood,aluminium,epoxy etc

16jk30l.jpg

addob6.jpg

• Like 1

Long time without posting or do anything,but thats how life is..

Back at work again..

Neck blanks are planed and sanded to thicknes,truss rod canals are opened and headstock shape is done

90okrb.jpg2ugz34h.jpg2vskyty.jpg

• Like 2

I cant work because my tools are for service and all the shops are closed due coronavirus.but here is a pic holding the two 5ers

20200222_001834.jpeg

• Like 2

Good to see you posting anyway.

They're shaping up well.  Distinctive lines.

I will try to post some pics.the builds go veeerrryyyy slow (like a turtle with broken legs)

The one will be fretless with carbon lines

IMG-20200807-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20200807-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-76776752ae611bc4240069012dd3dd82-V.jpg

IMG_20200725_114402.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Saved said:

IMG-20200807-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20200807-WA0005.jpeg

Slow is fine, its 1000% better than "one day I will...", which is where most of us stay at. 🙂

What scale are these? The photos make them look enormous,  but you mentioned 40" earlier in the thread. 

They are 40.443" 

If you capo the 3rd fret it becomes 34" but the design of the body its balanced and you get used to it very quick and easy because you dont feel the difference to much

Definitely not..

My "bass of navarone" is 47-45" and its overkill to play so huge scale,but thid basses (i call them 343) are very easy to play

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the final guitar,  and video of you playing it. Not because I don't believe you, but because I do 🙂

And videos of the Bass of Navarone - Great Name!!

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Saved said:

compared with a standard 34" bass

IMG_20200818_124454.jpg

Ah, I see now.  If we assume that the strap is adjusted so that the top horn is in a similar place when playing,  then the headstock is only slightly further away from the shoulder and most of the extra length is behind the right hand.

So the reach is about the same, but the frets are much further apart. 

Edited by Richard R
Grammar

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.