Why become a member? ×

Roundwounds for wusses

JapanAxe

1 hour ago, xgsjx said:

Old thread bump.

I'm in a very similar position to the OP at the start of this thread.  My bass has Chromes on it & I love the feel of them.

Just got a Sterling Sub Ray5 HH a couple of weeks ago & I'm going to be restringing it (the strings on it are cheapo quality, which I expected on a fairly cheap bass).  I had thought about getting Chromes for it, but I'm liking a bit extra zing, so seriously considering going for a smooth roundwound.

@JapanAxe, are the Cobalts the rounds or the flats & how are you getting on with them now?  Did you try pressure wounds as a comparison?

All change at JapanAxe Towers!

The Cobalts were flats. But I tried Elixirs on my ‘62 RI P and liked them so much that I got a set for the Dingwall too.

I still use flats on my ‘73 P but I’ve moved over to La Bellas.

I never did try pressure wounds.

20 hours ago, xgsjx said:

I had TI Jazz flats before the Chromes, they were nice, but I managed to snap the D string!  Lord knows how.  I found the Chromes to be a little brighter than the TIs.

Are the Elixirs roundwound?

Yes they are. The coating makes them feel a bit smoother.

4 hours ago, wintoid said:

So did you get hum problems with the Elixirs at all?

No. I’ve read of people experiencing this but it hasn’t been a problem for me. I use Elixir Optiwebs on all my guitars with no hum problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/02/2019 at 11:10, Stub Mandrel said:

Elites groundwounds?

I didn't know these were still available, probably 15 - 20 years since i used them but were my go to string, then went to Status pressure or half rounds also no longer available

Strings are a real headache I would once have left a note in the control cavity so i knew what was on last but got out of the habit. My Marleaux M bass as a set of nickles on, I love I was given them with a cab i bought i think they are SIT strings but can't remember now and don't want to risk changing them, probably been on for four years now.