Why become a member? ×

PUPS and upgrades - Yamaha BB425X. Which/how?

Misowaki

Hi all.  I love my BB425X.  It's surprisingly playable for what it cost me.  Probably as much if not more so than the Sandberg I had!  Thing is, I think the pups could do with an upgrade.

From what I know, there's little difference between the 425 and the 1000 series; hardware and electronics, right?  Still both made in Indonesia and same woods and all that if I'm not mistaken.  Already replaced the bridge with a Gotoh (some difference although the B still won't intonate perfectly at the end of its reach but still usable) and I want a bit more roundness and clarity from the pups.  I hear people say they're hard to replace on account of the odd shape but surely it's just a case of obscuring the joins if any, no?

Any more concrete knowledge/suggestions/advice on replacements/pitfalls is welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

I enquired about buying 1000/2000 pickups direct from Yamaha a few years ago & they were crazy expensive!

I think it was somewhere near £400 to replace both, I have since owned a 1024, 614, 300 (early 90's) & now a 425 & can honestly say there's not much difference between them.

Can I ask why you think they need an upgrade?

On my 425 I have removed the selector switch in favour of VVT & is opened it up to lots of tonal possibilities.

I thought they did when I posted because of a session last week. I wasn't getting quite what I wanted out of it, or so I thought. I think now that perhaps it was my amp setup in the room. Tried it again with a different head at home and I prefer it to the sound of my USA Fender! 

Any idea what the real difference is between the 1024 and 424 other than pups? I'm struggling to see what the difference could really be.

Opened mine up today and was surprised to see Alpha pots, was expecting generic cheapo stuff.

17 hours ago, Misowaki said:

I thought they did when I posted because of a session last week. I wasn't getting quite what I wanted out of it, or so I thought. I think now that perhaps it was my amp setup in the room. Tried it again with a different head at home and I prefer it to the sound of my USA Fender! 

Any idea what the real difference is between the 1024 and 424 other than pups? I'm struggling to see what the difference could really be.

Opened mine up today and was surprised to see Alpha pots, was expecting generic cheapo stuff.

Bridge, pickups, string tree are the main differences then some of the earlier 1024/5's had lacquer on the necks.

They're great basses & I think Yamaha have lost some of the essence with the new models.

52 minutes ago, Horizontalste said:

Bridge, pickups, string tree are the main differences then some of the earlier 1024/5's had lacquer on the necks.

They're great basses & I think Yamaha have lost some of the essence with the new models.

String tree is nominal, bridge already replaced, pups it be interested in trying others but seem to be fine now that I've A/Bd them with the Fenders. I could lacquer the neck myself if it bothered me I guess but I usually take a bit of fine sandpaper to my necks anyway. As before, 425 is a monster. Beyond pleased with it.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly the 1020 series has the same spline jointed 3 piece body, nickel silver nut and pickups of the 2020 series.

In fact I think my reasoning for getting the BB1025 that I had was that it had almost everything that the BB2025 had but was a fraction of the price. 

Ah right, I forgot about the wood assembly and treatment.  It still seems quite a jump up in price for what essentially doesn't make a discernible difference to the regular ear.  I mean, yeah I'd bloody love a 10 or 2025, obvs but a few mods to the 425 get me close enough.  I'm not sure I really 'believe' in 'tonewoods' anyway =P

I'm sure the construction makes a difference to tone and sustain but for someone who often palm mutes or whacks a sponge under the strings (such as myself) I think the 425 will do.  Although the B never quuiiiiite intonates correctly (12th fret reads about a quarter tone sharp) and that's a bit of a gypsy's kisser (especially as it now sports a Gotoh bridge), it does the job and does it mighty well.

Anyone else modded their BB in any way?

2 minutes ago, Misowaki said:

Huhuholy fuzzsticks, that's a mod alright! =D

Ain't it!

I bought it new for £220 I think & it'd been a while since I did anything like this so thought why not.

It doesn't get out often because I prefer wide string spacing but when it does it always gets positive comments.