Why become a member? ×

Rack case advice

GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='347374' date='Dec 6 2008, 05:41 PM']'Google this'!

I'm new to the idea of using a rack case. Is there a problem with using two amps and a tuner in one rack case? (Main and backup).

Will a Korg DTR-2000, a Hartke LM500 and a Markbass LMII squeeze into a 4U case.

That's it!

Peter[/quote]

Rack cases are great, SKB Gator etc. are all light and durable, WoT has a good un but it is deeper than my Gator. Bear in mind that not only do you get different heights, you get different depths (but none of the items mentioned wouldn't fit in a standard depth). You'll not fit your set-up into a 4U though, IIRC the MB is 2U, Hartke (probably at least) 2U and the tuner 1U. Ideally you might want a bit of air space between them, you need to conside the combined weight to. Individually they might not be much but add in the weight of the case and suddenly you may find it starts looking big and heavy... especially if you allow 1U space between each component; a 7/8U rack is a big old thing!

That's great John shoulda known you'd come to the rescue :)

I was thinking along the same lines with sizes and the weight thing. I've already got a 3U Warwick rack bag with the Hartke in it and that'll do nicely.

I've order one of these:

[url="http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=3680-4677"]http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/music...sp?id=3680-4677[/url]

and I'll put the Korg and LMII in that and nothing will be jammed in too tightly.

Sorted :huh:

It's all too easy to carried away with cramming stuff into racks and end up with something unfeasibly heavy. Even a 6u case with a non-lightweight amp and the rest of the slots filled with rack fx and tuners can be more than a 1 man lift.

Of course the great advantage of a single rack with everything in is that you plug your bass into the front and you speaker(s) into the back and you're ready to go.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='347389' date='Dec 6 2008, 06:11 PM']That's great John shoulda known you'd come to the rescue :)

I was thinking along the same lines with sizes and the weight thing. I've already got a 3U Warwick rack bag with the Hartke in it and that'll do nicely.

I've order one of these:

[url="http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=3680-4677"]http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/music...sp?id=3680-4677[/url]

and I'll put the Korg and LMII in that and nothing will be jammed in too tightly.

Sorted :huh:[/quote]

The LMII and tuner will be fine in a 3U rack but the 4 means you are laughing. I had my LMK in a 3U rack with a tuner and there wasn't a great deal of heat generated, tuners don't get too hot and the lack of depth means that there is a bit of air to circulate in the back.

As it happens that rack that you ordered is the same as WoT's and it looked the biz when I picked it up the other day, I particularly liked the fact that with the front and back off there were no metal catches/moving parts on the case to pick up sympathetic rattle. WoT's was quite a deep unit and not as light as some but the LMII and tuner weigh very little any way, so it'll not be as important as if you had something like an Aggie or Ampeg in there. :huh:

Many thanx one and all for the help.

Only problem now is that I've cut a plucking finger by leaving a sharp knife in the washing up bowl. I was hoping that the cut wouldn't be through the skin or not quite in the place I play with. No chance :)

I just hate cutting my hands. Blood on the strings.

Please let us know how you get on with the 4u Boschma rack case. I'm thinking about getting a 6u one (which I need for all my stuff + 1u ventillation, but I'm worried it will be too bulky...

My last one was a traditional metal-lined plywood 7u case and with all my rack in there it was more than I could comfortably lift. I have got a lighter amp now but I'm still hesitating.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='347501' date='Dec 6 2008, 08:52 PM']Many thanx one and all for the help.

Only problem now is that I've cut a plucking finger by leaving a sharp knife in the washing up bowl. I was hoping that the cut wouldn't be through the skin or not quite in the place I play with. No chance :)

I just hate cutting my hands. Blood on the strings.[/quote]
Google sods law!