Why become a member? ×

SOLD! Fender P Bass, CS '62 Pickups, Pino Palladino Look a like.
£650

Studio GC

I built this up after I purchased a 2008 American Standard P Bass neck. The owner of the neck had sanded off the headstock details so he could do a relic P Bass, but never got around to the project, so I've taken on the project to make a Pino Palladino look a like bass...without spending £3000 pounds on one.

The body is ash and  is finished with a coat of sanding sealer, a light coat of white primer and two coats of fiesta red nitro. The idea is to have the bass naturally relic like the basses of old with light nitro coatings. With the light coats you can see the grain through the paint. That being said, it's not a absolutely perfect refin. You can see some white primer show through and also see some scraper marks where I removed the original poly finish....but then again, the whole point of this bass is to have it look like a light relic....

The pick ups are Fender Custom Shop '62. By far my favorite pickups and come with all new Fender American P basses. The custom wiring harness is built by my local luthier and consists of Bournes 250k Ohm Vintage pentiometers short shaft audio taper. Orange drop .047uf tone capacitor for that classic tone. Switchcraft 2 conductor mono 1/4in. output jack. Strings will be a decent set of round wounds (but the bass deserves flats!)

The neck, being a USA 2008, has the carbon reinforcing rods. The decal is waterslide from Crox Guitars. The neck has been sprayed with nitro amber for a more classic look.

To get that Palladino Custom Shop look, the hardware has been aged using my formula of having the hardware in a sealed vapor container with a mixture of acids (not bathed...simply in proximity).

Includes a decent gig bag.

For £650 you're getting all the greatness of a American P Bass...and arguably a Pino Palladino CS bass for £2000 less!

UK shipping can be arranged. Local pick up preferred.

Update: Forgot to mention the cavities have also been fully shielded.

20190127_114210.jpg

20190127_114229.jpg

20190127_114358.jpg

20190127_114318.jpg

20190127_114323.jpg

20190127_114513.jpg

Screenshot 2019-01-21 at 9.41.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2019-01-21 at 9.40.51 AM.png

Screenshot 2019-01-29 at 10.09.50 AM.png

IMG_9466.JPG

Edited by Studio GC
  • Like 3

On 10/02/2019 at 09:18, hooky_lowdown said:

So the silks don't run over the saddles.

Now, why did I never think of that over the decades?? What a great idea!! Was that your idea of have you seen it elsewhere in the past?

Haven't done it for ages as I use Dunlop Steels but I used to pare back the thread with a Stanley blade.

Edited by NikNik

I got the idea from a talkbass.com forum discussing Gibson SG basses and their three point bridge.....notorious for not leaving room enough on the saddles. A guy actually makes a "mod bar" back in the States for Gibson bridges that takes care of this issue.....but the nuts are cheaper!