Why become a member? ×

Cheap Fan Fret

anzoid

14 hours ago, sprocketflup said:

Just picked one of the sixers up off Ebay out of curiosity more than anything, mine has a darkwood fingerboard tho? i.e. not maple, im rubbish at identifying slices of dead tree

They have a few on ebay as damaged. Looking closely it seems like they've had to scrap a whole batch of them due to poor QC. 

Hard to tell from your pics what the neck is, I think it'll be maple and should be roasted, but may have been stained instead to cut costs. I'd have the neck off to have a look. 

The ebay descriptions all start with "roasted maple neck not genuine", and then different guitars have different faults. Would be tempted,  but I have a friend's 5-er on loan so don't need to spend money 😉 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RedSub-Coliseum-Fanned-Fret-5-String-Bass-DAMAGED-RRP-319/303665014478?hash=item46b3d866ce:g:TdgAAOSw8vtfRUMI

• 1 year later...

Bought 5 string version about a month ago. Can’t fault it. Plays well, intonation spot on all the way up. Lovely warm sound.  Machines are the first thing I will upgrade as a little notchy, but hold tune ok.  Plays, feels sounds and looks like a much more expensive instrument. 

• Like 1