Why become a member? ×

Maddest headstock I've ever seen

Newfoundfreedom

I went to look at a load of gear today left over from a shop closure. Unfortunately it was mostly guitars and he only had a couple of basses. One of them was this. I've never seen anything like it in my life. The body is straightforward enough, kind of Music Man-esque, but that headstock is bonkers! The neck actually felt superb, very playable, and the overall quality didn't feel too bad. Initially i dismissed it outright, but the more I looked at it the more it kind of grew on me. So I had to leave sharpish before I accidentally bought it. It would certainly be a conversation starter. You don't see many of those around. 

IMG_20190122_151243.jpg

IMG_20190122_151310.jpg

IMG_20190122_151302.jpg

IMG_20190122_151254.jpg

Looks more like a P body with an MM stuck in it.

I've seen that fretboard 2 tone thing on some basses on Ebay a few years ago but cannot remember the exact name. Something similar to Matiz, although i know that's not it.  They seemed to be well made too

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

Looks more like a P body with an MM stuck in it.

I've seen that fretboard 2 tone thing on some basses on Ebay a few years ago but cannot remember the exact name. Something similar to Matiz, although i know that's not it.  They seemed to be well made too

It's a Wolf bass, made in Korea.

They're not unheard of, and generally seem to be well respected quality wise. But I've never seen one with an upright style headstock like that. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

Thanks NFF

Very similar to the bass i mentioned with the wrong name. Just cannot remember it's correct name though.  Pretty sure it began with an M.   I wonder if they actually changed their name at some point  to Wolf

Mind you, that Wolf bass. Good luck getting a case for it. Would have to be a DIY job

Edited by fleabag

7 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Thanks NFF

Very similar to the bass i mentioned with the wrong name. Just cannot remember it's correct name though.  Pretty sure it began with an M.   I wonder if they actually changed their name at some point  to Wolf

Maybe something out of the same factory. From what I can glean Wolf is an own brand from a factory that builds budget grade guitars for a lot of the big manufacturers, such as Epiphones, Squier etc.

There's quite a few of them on eBay USA but nothing like this one. I'm actually reconsidering walking away now. It's so unique. If nothing else it'll be a conversation starter. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

2 minutes ago, fleabag said:

By the way - that bass above was made in France by luthier Thomas Brunteau . Apparently there is more than one builder using the name Wolf

Here's another by the same French guy

wolf_custom_guitar.jpg

Ah that's interesting. The guy did say he had an acoustic with the same headstock. It could be this very model. 

This is the webby of the French guy Bruneteau  :)

Doesnt seem to make many basses.  In fact there aren't any on his site. Wonder if they were specials ?  That weird acoustic isnt listed either. They could old models that he doent make anymore. Maybe too wacky and didnt sell ?

http://wolflutherie.com/index.html

Edited by fleabag
  • Thanks 1

Wolf guitar brand from Korea is made by KHL Seoul South Korea – established 1997.

KHL also make Ravenwest, HK, and Woodo brands. This is their logo

Wolf_guitar_Korea.jpg

Ah, maybe I've totally got the wrong brand then. So do you reckon this one could actually be a custom / luthier build? 

Just now, fleabag said:

See my post above Nff.  I think maybe Bruneteau made one offs, or maybe they were staple models that never sold in  big numbers and he left the idea alone

Hmmm. That's got me thinking now. It might definitely be worth a punt. That would also explain why the neck felt extremely good quality and very playable. 

• Like 1

I have the feeling that Bruneteau makes very good quality axes.  And unless he copied the bass model that began with an M that i cannot think of, it maybe that he started the bass building with those M's and ventured on to Wolf, changing the name.  That 2 tone neck is identical to the basses i remember that are no longer around

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

I have the feeling that Bruneteau makes very good quality axes.  And unless he copied the bass model that began with an M that i cannot think of, it maybe that he started the bass building with those M's and ventured on to Wolf, changing the name.  That 2 tone neck is identical to the basses i remember that are no longer around

Yeah that headstock though!

Maybe I could learn to love it? 😂

To be honest, what the bloke was asking for it I'm guessing he doesn't know what he's got there either. 

3 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

What am I not getting here? What seems like the exact same "W" from the Korean Wolf logo suddenly belongs to a French luthier that on his website uses a different style? Colour me bewildered.
Can anyone explain?

Cool stuff though! 🙂

No, NFF got it wrong

The single letter W is French Luthier  Thomas Bruneteau.  The one with the full word WOLF, is the Korean one

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah that headstock though!

Maybe I could learn to love it? 😂

To be honest, what the bloke was asking for it I'm guessing he doesn't know what he's got there either. 

yeah if you can live with the headstock - it will be utterly unique - but build yer own case :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fleabag said:

PS Nff

Found what i was looking for. He was Mazeti ....he changed the name. I KNEW i'd seen those weird fretboards before.  Man.,  i should be a detetctive :)

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/les-paul-bass-mazeti-bass-guitar-512359460

Very impressive. But I still can't see anything that links the two (other than the obvious shape and style) They could be sourcing the necks from the same place or copying the same design maybe? 

• Like 1