Why become a member? ×

Test effects live online - Stompenberg

Quatschmacher

That is pretty damn cool. I played around with using the preset samples on a few pedals, and then uploaded one of my own (which was actually an entire 3 minute song) to try with a TC delay pedal. It all worked perfectly, and it was quite interesting to fiddle with the controls and listen to the results in real time. This would have taken some effort to setup on their side; it makes me wonder whether they looked at the statistics of "what are the pedals that are costing us the most in terms of returns because people don't like the sound?" and then provided access to these first. :) Jokes aside, this really makes sense for Thomann to setup for their customers, as it would reduce returns and some pedals would then be an 'instant sale' to some people who like what they are hearing.

Bizarrely enough, I had a similar idea with expensive outboard studio gear. You hire the gear remotely, have virtual control over the knobs and send the audio feed to it to be processed.... like a plugin but in somebody elses studio. Play the stem through it and the resultant wav is made available to download. The thing is, plugins have got so good... and virtually latency free... I figured there wouldn't be a market. Plus theres the slight issue of the expensive outboard having to be butchered a little.

Good call though Thomann.

Having read that piece I'm now expecting a new series of Thomann own-brand FX pedals to be launched later in 2019.

Having reverse-engineered everyone else's pedals, and then made a note of which settings most guitarists prefer when testing them on-line, they should be well positioned to out-Behringer even Behringer themselves.

Cynical? Moi?

• Haha 1

Of course, maybe I'm the only person to have picked up on this... but by putting the analogue pedals in the digital domain, it wouldn't take much to make every old analogue pedal, midi enabled. Want to recall a pedal with different settings? No problem! The main challenge would be making the pedals look presentable as opposed to a hacked electronics project.

The ability to sweep an analogue pot under MIDI control... hmm. I wonder if anybody has done this in any capacity? I'm going to have a google...

Hmm, maybe I should get my embedded programming hat on again.

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Of course, maybe I'm the only person to have picked up on this... but by putting the analogue pedals in the digital domain, it wouldn't take much to make every old analogue pedal, midi enabled. Want to recall a pedal with different settings? No problem! The main challenge would be making the pedals look presentable as opposed to a hacked electronics project.

The ability to sweep an analogue pot under MIDI control... hmm. I wonder if anybody has done this in any capacity? I'm going to have a google...

Hmm, maybe I should get my embedded programming hat on again.

This is pretty much the norm for analogue synths these days - analogue pots with digital control. Chase Bliss does this in its pedals too.